Re: Demon Markings

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from "Christopher Jefferson" <major_kusanagi@hotmail.com>
subject Re: Demon Markings
date Mon, 04 Oct 1999 09:18:06 EDT

>From: "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
>To: "Megami ML" <megami@ML.usagi.org>
>Subject: Demon Markings
>Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:06:08 -0400
>
>OK, when Mara first appeared, her markings were different enough from the
>goddesses to make her stand out as a demon just from the markings.  Also,
>when Urd went 'Lord of Terror' her markings became similar to Mara's.

So far, so good.

>Then, we see Velsper with a standard 5-pointed star on his forehead, and
>now
>we have Hild with a star of david on her forehead.

Looked at Volume 17 again. Could have sworn it was a four pointed star.
Nevertheless, it's not that important.

>Maybe Fujishima-sensei has decided that demons should have single markings
>on their foreheads, and chose stars?  Or, could the stars be some sort of a
>familial thing?  This might help explain how Velsper could wield such a
>strong curse spell when he was just a kid (Chan Wei Lik wondered a few
>months ago about how Velsper could cast that spell).

If #2 contention were true, would that mean that Urodo and Velsper were
related somehow? Second, Mara's markings are different enough to show a
radical difference in job description ^_^. Velsper's and Hild's marking are
less so. Methinks he should have used the twin slash marks.

  It also might explain
>how he knew about Hild and Urd's connection (though Mara may have known
>also, since she knew about Urd's demon bloodlines).

Mara did know ("Sympathy for the Devil"), did she not?

Also, think about this:
>The Star of David is formed by superimposing 2 triangles.  Urd's symbol is,
>of course, one triangle.

Hmmmm. Remote, but a possiblity.

>Anyway, does anyone have an idea on why we're suddenly seeing demons with
>stars upon their foreheads instead of the twin slash marks?

I don't quite know. I liked the old markings, though.

Be Seeing You,

Chris

>Brian W.

Search field Search string