Re: Does Urd Have a Seal?

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Bob Smith" <rwsmith@cnw.com>
subject Re: Does Urd Have a Seal?
date Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:23:29 -0700
I should preface this by saying that I haven't seen the translated version
yet. The only comic-shop I knew of in the area (Bellevue, WA, US) closed
some time ago. ( I was quite miffed. Do you think I was right to halt the
obliteration with his third cousins, or should I have kept going?)

Brian W. wrote:

>I know we've debated this before, but given the recently Dark Horse
>published "Devil in Miss Urd" arc, I thought more folks might have an
>opinion on this.

<snip>
>Arguments for Urd having a seal:
>

>1.  The Devil half of Urd, in a cheap cloned body, no less, manages to
fight
>Urd's God half plus Belldandy to a standstill.

Remember that Bell-chan and (presumably) Urd's kami-half may well have been
restrained by compassion. Belldandy certainly would hesitate to kill her
half-sister's demon-half (her quarter-sister?)

>Then, without so much as a
>drop of sake, she trashes Mara without even trying to

Mara is a legend in her own mind. *Senbei* could probably trash Mara

>and then returns to
>finish the job on her God half.  Belldandy has never been able to so much
as
>kick Mara out of the temple without help, even in defense of Keiichi.

Help has (I think) been available. Without it, If Mara were to pose a
credible threat to K1's life, <poof> all that's left of Mara is a smoking
hole in the ground.

>2.  Belldandy and God Urd believe that Urd's Devil half will be able to
>destroy the Earth if left unchecked.  This is certainly well beyond
anything
>Belldandy can do - from only half of Urd!

As I understood it, the global threat potentialy posed by Bell's power is
the reason for her seal in the first place. Not that she'd ever do something
like that on purpose, but accidents do happen.  (whoops! .....gomen nasai..)

>Even given that Urd is more powerful than a sealed Belldandy this is a

Is that a given? (I could have missed that bit)

>little much, don't you think?  On the other hand, a seal for Urd is never
>mentioned.  Wouldn't it have been?  Belldandy's seal gets mentioned every
>time it's either weakened or broken.  In fact, Devil Urd mentions
>Belldandy's seal but never one of her own.

Recall, if you will that in the LOT story-arc, Belldandy (unsealed and in
war-mode (I loved the "higher-level" goddess-marks)) blocks, with her own
body (ain't love grand) a bolt from the Hand of Kami-sama himself aimed at
K1 when he's posessed by the LOT. I'm not sure Urdo (or any fraction
thereof) could survive that.

Great topic, by the way.

Bob   rwsmith@cnw.com

Search field Search string