Re: megami ML matome okuri

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:09:44 -0400
Hey, Sam!

Have you read the Hellblazer(John Constantine)/AMS crossover "Dire Fates"?
It's a pretty well-done story, even if Belldandy doesn't have more than a
cameo appearance.  I agree with the authors that Belldandy would be hard to
work into a John Constantine story.  Anyway, they did a pretty good job of
working the two story lines together, doing a disservice to neither.  When
you think about it, their scopes do overlap pretty well.

That's more than I can say for most crossovers.

<Begin Rant>

The problem with any AMS crossover is that other than the wish-gone-awry
plot device, there are very few that allow any sense of drama.  Chris got
around this very neatly by timing his piece during the moonrock bracelet
time when the goddesses' powers were severely limited.  Most fanfics just
wind up powering down the goddesses to the point where they become almost
unrecognizable.  I often find myself reading chapter 1 and saying "Why
doesn't Belldandy just turn that big mech into a pretty bouquet of flowers?"
or something to that effect.  Having fully-powered goddesses challenged by
anything of mortal contrivance just sticks in my craw, as it were.

<End Rant>

Anyway, if you're interested, here's a link to the "Dire Fates" homepage.  I
haven't dared read the Sailor Moon crossover, yet <shiver>.

http://www.uh.edu/~rpm/direfates/

It's also on Ryo's AMG Fanfic page.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/1427/

Brian

Chris wrote:
>>From: Sam the man <sbh24@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
>>To: megami@ML.usagi.org
>>Subject: Re: megami ML matome okuri
>>Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 13:01:16 +1100
>
><snip>
>>
>>OK, some Megami stuff. Hmm. A few days ago (late at night, when my
>>brain is on standby) I somehow came up with a literary justification
>>for an AMS/John Constantine crossoever fanfic, and now can't for the
>>life of me remember what it was (probably my memory acting in self
>>defense). So there's a challenge: what possible connection is there
>>between John Constantine and AMS?
>>
>>Sam
>>

>Okay, Sam, for the life of me, I don't know who John Constantine is.
>Meanwhile, good to see you joined the Urodo ML. Which reminds me, I have to
>start working on my "Quest For the Goddesses" fanfic. Some stuff in there I
>have to fix as far as ship names, squadron numbers, etc., before I publish
>it on "rec.arts.fanfic.moderated" or whatever.
>
>Fanfics are great to get one's writing talent up to snuff. Won't stop until
>I get my "Quest" series in Ryo's "Greatest Hits" category.
>
>Off-topic: remeber that article I passed onto you about the Purple Hearts
>being ordered by the Pentagon? Goober just had a meeting with the Joint
>Chiefs yesterday. If no peace agreement within the next couple of weeks, a
>lot of guys are going to start getting new orders cut. Bad news all around.
>
>Be Seeing Youse,
>
>Chris

Search field Search string

archive list