Re: Keiichi's name

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Andreas Dombrowsky" <kmorisato@intetra.net>
subject Re: Keiichi's name
date Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:48:17 +0200
----- Original Message -----
To: Ah,My Goddess - ML - <megami@ML.usagi.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 1999 3:45 PM
Subject: RE: Keiichi's name

> >Since the ML seems to be fairly boring at the moment, a little question.
> >Is there a deeper reason behind Keiichi's name being written with the
> >kanji for "firefly" in Japanese? It does not appear to be the usual
> >kanji used in this name, an assumption my Japanese teacher confirmed.
>
> ..but I don't think so, "KEI"(firefly) is a common kanji used in name.
(may
> for girl mostly)
> an example: "KEIko yukimura"(Yuusuke Urameshi's girl friend) in
> "Yuu-Yuu-Hakusho". but, she is a girl, do you think they are similer?
> so, I don't think it has any deeper reason.
> ( BTW, in chinese or japanese, 'firefly' is the only meaning of
> "KEI(kanji)"/"YING(chinese)" )

I don't know too much about this, but I noticed that for one thing, a
non-standard kanji is used that exists in a simplified form, and for another
thing, this particular spelling of the name was not to be found in the name
dictionary I used (enamdict by Jim Breen). So I asked my Japanese teacher
whether this was a common spelling and got the answer that, no, this
spelling is an uncommon one. Therefore, I figured the kanji was used
intentionally, and was wondering why.
        Andi

Search field Search string

archive list