Off topic: Dreamcast, cheap now

from "Art" <whatever@pozor.demon.nl>
subject Off topic: Dreamcast, cheap now
date Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:32:01 +0200
Okay, I really hate it when people get off topic at the megami mailing list,
but I couldn't resist replying to this message...

Andi wrote:
>I don't know why you're so excited about that. I despised Dreamcast.
>don't know why it is even exist. Sega shouldn't have launched it in  the
>first place. Okay, let's face it. Dreamcast performance isn't really
>what we hoped in the first place. PSX2 or Project Dolphin seems more
>promising. Like always, Sega seems to be hurrying himself to get the
>machine out  and gain a quick start. What Sega didn't considered is the
>performance of  the machine itself. It is waaay,.. down under PSX2 and
>Project Dolphin I  suppose.
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Sega has been developing the dreamcast for
over 2 years and the machine has already been for 9 months on the market.
Sony hurried developing a new Playstation when they heard about the specs of
the dreamcast. One month after the dreamcast hit the Japanese market Sony
gave their specs of the PSX2 (and already altered their specs). So in fact
the dreamcast is allmost 3 years old while the PSX2 is only one year old.
What Sega did consider was the compatibility between the dreamcast and their
Naomi arcade machines and now even with the Neo Geo Pocket.

Ishida wrote:
>I really disagree with you on the dreamcast...it may be inferior to the
>new systems that will launch in the future but only because it is the
>first 128-bit system out there right now...i have a dreamcast and it
>really kills the playstation in every way possible....except for lack of
>games....the new playstation can have around 8 million pol/sec and
>dreamcast can have about 5 mil....3 mil more polygons more doesn't really
>seem to be a great advantage because our television screens can only view
>about 6 million....it's like the Saturn can view 1.6 million colours but
>we can even distinguish from one colour with the other colour because
>they look soo similar, even though both are different....it's the games
>that make or break a system...and dreamcast right now is doing great in
>terms of profit.....and now i heard that Sakura Taisen might be on the
>Gameboy because Sega teamed up with Nintendo.....sorry for me rambling on
>and on...
Well, try to find this months issue of Edge. A gaming magazine from the UK.
There will be at least 26 new games released till October 1999 which
include: Evolution, Mortal Kombat 5, Star Wars Trilogy, GTA2 and South Park.
Even Namco's Ridge Racer Plus is announced for next year. I agree that the
PSX2 has amazing specs and will surely beat the crap out of the dreamcast,
but Sony is the one who is currently behind.

Sorry for this spam... ^_-

Art

Search field Search string

archive list