Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

to megami@ML.usagi.org, otaku-ml@telnet.or.jp
from Kenji Shimizu <shimizu@telnet.or.jp>
subject Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?
date Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:33:16 +0900
Lin Chaohong wrote:

Cross posting on otaku-ml, since it's about the mail order, the new law,
etc. will talk about the H law, nintendo arrests, Konami sueing, and
other topics later.>Otaku-ml

Those multi disk player (DVD, LD, VCD) player is very nice.... but it's
also quite expoensive... ;_; It's well worth getting it, if anyone has
the money...

Oh, if you ahve the first and second models of the Pionner multi disk
player (that gold colored player), (AKA, "GOD" since it plays
anything....).... you can get the old chip exchanged for the new one,
free. (at least, in my country...)

> The ML can go on ranting on the virtues of the different quality available
> on the different media, they MUST also understand that in Singapore, for
> those who _really_ want to buy legal anime videos, it is very expensive and
> hard to get our hands on LDs or the tapes.

what are international mail orders (directly from Japan) are for? ^_-
I think Animate, and tons of ther LD shops has to "temporary bring down"
their homepages for mail order... STUPID NEW LAW in Japan..... (oh
yeah... those dorks in the Japanese Diet does nothing good, but to harm
this country... -_-;;;) Hope the LDP and it's allies loses this next
election misarably...)

The new law is, onemust register these homepages selling H stuff... so,
all homepages (mail order, etc.) will be self-shut down, till they can
run to the city hall, and register their pages... will take them few
days for all the homepages to go back up again (in japan....)

Animate has mail order (over-seas) and some other stores too. They
charge substancially less then the US companies....

> The ML must also understand the prevailing weather conditions in Asian
> countries - especially South-East Asia. Here in Singapore, our weather is
> extremely humid. I doubt I would invest in tapes if I know that it would get
> mouldy in a matter of weeks. Sure, I could buy a special chamber to put my
> tapes in - what's the set-up costs like, dear friends? We must all
> understand that finances are a total stranglehold on all our anime fetishes.

I thought Singapore had AC on full power most times..... (at least,
where I hung around....)

I wonder if VCD will cultivate mold in extreem conditions........ ^_^;

> For legit VCDs, I would have to order through anime speciality stores (which
> are far and few in Singapore) or do my ordering through Kinokuniya (it takes
> longer to process your order)... and these stores often charge extra for
> shipping and handling, not to mention more "extra charges" in the bill (My
> guess is that the store assistant just writes down his profit as his extra
> charges).

try other mail order places... fastest way is to search on Yahoo Japan,
or info seek (JP)

> The process of buying legit stuff from Japan is difficult and hideously
> expensive, that why some Singapore Anime Fans turn to buying subs of the
> AMG. The subs come from Hong Kong or Taiwan. Yes, yes, those places are
> notorious, but I have checked out the companies' names and found that the
> companies have the right to distribute AMG (in subs format) in South-East
> Asia. So you can't really say that Singaporeans or any one else who are
> trying so hard to get their favourite anime (AMG for that matter), are
> buying pirated copies - it would be a gross generalisation.

but the fact remains, you aren't supporting your favorite artsists
(economically) (at least, not as effective as it can be....) no support
to artists=no more stuff comming out from them....

> >> Kenji's point is that VCD is NOT the main source of income of the anime
> >> production house or the distribution company.  Buying VHS/LD/DVD can help
> >> them, but not VCD.
>
> It would very much appreciated to me (at least) that these anime production
> studios (or recognised distributor) set-up shops or stores in Singapore or
> other Asian countries. If there was one anime distributor here in Singapore,
> I'll walk through fire and snow just to get my hands on it.

...the problem is, as long as SE Asaian countries doesn't clean upo
their act, most companies are horrified to set up ANYTHING in the
region... they wouldn't mind setting up stuff in North America (as we
already see...)

Last interview with NEC Interchannel.... they mentioned, they will
refuse any interviews from any SE Asian region, will not release
anything in the region, and won't allow anything (especially pictures,
images, etc.) shown in the region... they are horrified at the intensive
piracy rate in the region. similar with most other compaines......
(except for Kadokawa, who seems to have a strange dictator president,
who's got a strange mind of his own....)

Most companies who sets up something in the SE Asian region is NOT for
sales or disturibution, but more for copyrights and manufacture....
(look at Bandai... they even publicly say it's exactly that....)

> >DVD might be popular for the "mass, the public, etc"... but NOT for the
> >anime fans.... at least, not in this country...... not much DVD anime
> >software anyway... (compared to LD...)
>
> We must understand that the DVD industry is just picking up. However, I have
> begun collecting some DVD titles that I would like to watch over and over
> (Mary Poppins, anyone?).
>
> If AMG comes out in DVD-format, my first question would be, "Does it come
> with English subtitles?" I heard about DVD being able to display subtitle in
> different languages, is it true? I don't know much, but I would like to
> learn more.

they have those subtitle etc. things...
However, most anime companies seesm to be pessimistic about releasing
titles in DVD, or isn't ready yet. (they do know that their main fans
(fans in Japan) willgo for LDs and not DVDs for now... only places
releasing DVDs are King records, and Bandai lines. 9and maybe some
minior ones...)

The others, they won't put things out on DVD.... and most titles on DVD
are re-makes (basically, the copanies are aiming at increased sales on
the old itles, which are collecting dust in their storage rooms ^_^;)

> >Maybe this guy needs a bigger screen, or a eye check up..... no
> >kidding... really... try comparing them again.... (not only picture
> >quality, but sound too..... a nice stereo surround speaker would be nice
> >to test it....)
>
> Okay, this part drives me nuts. Did weizhi@pacific.net.sg watch the AMG VCD
> in a tiny window screen on the computer? Or did he sit _too_ far away from a
> large screen television? I gripe about picture quality on VCD-formats, and
> this weizhi@pacific.net.sg says it's of the same quality... I think I'll
> finance the eye check-up, old boy.

eyes and ears are very imporatnt for fans.... you'll not be able to
enjoy live concerts, etc. with bad eye sights and bad ears.....LOL

speaking of projector TVs... the prices for old model and used projector
TVs are dropping here... (found one for about 200000 yen ($2000 US) the
other day... official price was 700000 ($7000US) in the first place...
time for me to get a nice projector TV...? (but not enough wall space to
project it on... -_-;;;;)

Kenji Shimizu

side note... picked up the Pretty Sammy TV (on LD) for 180 yen (box set
thingy)... I didn't know Tenchi dropped THIS much in price.... AMG LD
was still high.... Wedding peach OVA prices haven't slided yet either.
Eva prices were lower then before... I guess that horrible movie scared
away some fans...?
waiting for the nadeshiko movie on LD.....

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs