Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Lin Chaohong" <ch_lin@pacific.net.sg>
subject Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?
date Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:16:40 +0800
-----Original Message-----
To: megami@ML.usagi.org <megami@ML.usagi.org>
Date: 04 April 1999 05:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

>..and uhmmm... weizhi@pacific.net.sg... the VC do NOT come (sold,
>retailed) in green, blue, etc... those are hand made... and in some
>countries and region, it's copyright violation. (even if it's for
>personal viewing....) So I wouldn't scream too loud about it (one of the
>rules on the ML is, you can't support pirate publicly here.)

It is a pretty sad fact that in Singapore, not many people know the
differences in the types of CD-media available. Yeah, most Singaporeans
boast about owning a DVD/LD/VCD player at their homes, but seldom do they
realise that the discs they put in (notably VCDs) are not at all legal.

The ML can go on ranting on the virtues of the different quality available
on the different media, they MUST also understand that in Singapore, for
those who _really_ want to buy legal anime videos, it is very expensive and
hard to get our hands on LDs or the tapes.

The ML must also understand the prevailing weather conditions in Asian
countries - especially South-East Asia. Here in Singapore, our weather is
extremely humid. I doubt I would invest in tapes if I know that it would get
mouldy in a matter of weeks. Sure, I could buy a special chamber to put my
tapes in - what's the set-up costs like, dear friends? We must all
understand
that finances are a total stranglehold on all our anime fetishes.

For legit VCDs, I would have to order through anime speciality stores (which
are far and few in Singapore) or do my ordering through Kinokuniya (it takes
longer to process your order)... and these stores often charge extra for
shipping and handling, not to mention more "extra charges" in the bill (My
guess is that the store assistant just writes down his profit as his extra
charges).

The process of buying legit stuff from Japan is difficult and hideously
expensive, that why some Singapore Anime Fans turn to buying subs of the
AMG. The subs come from Hong Kong or Taiwan. Yes, yes, those places are
notorious, but I have checked out the companies' names and found that the
companies have the right to distribute AMG (in subs format) in South-East
Asia. So you can't really say that Singaporeans or any one else who are
trying so hard to get their favourite anime (AMG for that matter), are
buying pirated copies - it would be a gross generalisation.

>> Kenji's point is that VCD is NOT the main source of income of the anime
>> production house or the distribution company.  Buying VHS/LD/DVD can help
>> them, but not VCD.

It would very much appreciated to me (at least) that these anime production
studios (or recognised distributor) set-up shops or stores in Singapore or
other Asian countries. If there was one anime distributor here in Singapore,
I'll walk through fire and snow just to get my hands on it.

>> USD50 for 5 episodes of AMG on VCD actually is a rip-off.  In Hong Kong,
>> the licensed AMG VCD set only cost you USD20.  (Mass production VCD, not
>> CD-R).
>
>(I have yet to see a CD-R VCD for retail sale... ^_^;;;)

I found it peculiar that a licensed AMG VCD costs more else where as
compared to Singapore's. My guess is that Singapore has a retailer for Hong
Kong stock. I know that when people buy things in bulk, they get bulk
discounts, probably that's the case where the AMG VCDs are cheaper here in
Singapore, as most large local bookstores have a section on VCDs (and yes, a
tiny section on Anime titles).

>> LD is only 2 years before VCD ?  I thought Singapore is well advance
>> in AV market.
>
>I thought so too.....

Unfortunately, we are advanced in the AV market... we have the equipment,
but most of us *sigh* do not know how to use it. Yeah, yeah, laugh all you
want... some Singaporeans don't bother to read manuals too, you know. And
you know how it is, technical support gets hell day after day.

I may be a simple student, but I "work" part time as a technical support for
my friends; often they would come up to me and ask me to solve their
problems relating to AV or computers. My gripe is - "You people have the
equipment, it's a wonder that you don't know how to use it!"

>DVD might be popular for the "mass, the public, etc"... but NOT for the
>anime fans.... at least, not in this country...... not much DVD anime
>software anyway... (compared to LD...)

We must understand that the DVD industry is just picking up. However, I have
begun collecting some DVD titles that I would like to watch over and over
(Mary Poppins, anyone?).

If AMG comes out in DVD-format, my first question would be, "Does it come
with English subtitles?" I heard about DVD being able to display subtitle in
different languages, is it true? I don't know much, but I would like to
learn more.

>Maybe this guy needs a bigger screen, or a eye check up..... no
>kidding... really... try comparing them again.... (not only picture
>quality, but sound too..... a nice stereo surround speaker would be nice
>to test it....)

Okay, this part drives me nuts. Did weizhi@pacific.net.sg watch the AMG VCD
in a tiny window screen on the computer? Or did he sit _too_ far away from a
large screen television? I gripe about picture quality on VCD-formats, and
this weizhi@pacific.net.sg says it's of the same quality... I think I'll
finance the eye check-up, old boy.

Vincent

Vincent Lin, Vinny's Studio 1999