Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <chyung@hknet.com>
subject Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?
date Sun, 4 Apr 1999 02:52:18 +0800
> From: weizhi@pacific.net.sg <weizhi@pacific.net.sg>
>>The quality is much lower then even a normal class VHS...
>Regarding your comment on the quality of VCD , A vcd is definately of a
>better quality than the VHS as it is digitally mastered. It also has a
>longer life span than normal VHS .... yes, 100-120 years.

VCD do have longer retention period, but quality-wise VHS is much better.
Being "digital mastered" do not mean better qulaity : e.g. LD is better
than VCD.  VHS can be surpringly good, even using normal VHS.

To compare VHS versus VCD, IMHO, you either use a very large screen,
or you can feed both video source into your PC.  Even at 640x480, VHS
is good, whereas you can find many color "square" when viewing VCD.

>>2)you're blind, so you don't care about quality, and you don't care
>>about sound  quality either
>Well , that applies only to LD , not VHS.

See above.

>>3)You like the shiny silver color coating of a CD....
>For your info , VCD comes in green, blue, greenish blue , gold (24k) ,
>greenish gold ... each with its unique quality and life span. I personally
>prefer the gold (24k) type.

Mass production of normal VCD should come in silver color, or sometimes
gold.
All those green, blue, and greenish blue are CD-R, which cost much higher
than mass production VCD.

>>4)You want to drive Animation out of business (this is since most, or
>>all Japanese animation is first released in LD/DVVD, etc... VCD formats
>>are usually done when licenced out to second part, etc. so doesn't bring
>>as much $$$ to the original anime creators... (gee, they are
>>starving...?)), or LD/DVD/tapes makers out of business, or retaliers out
>>of business....
>Well , we are still paying a hell lot of money for anime recorded in VCD
>form. for example, The complete set of AMG here in singapore can cost up to
>US$50.

Kenji's point is that VCD is NOT the main source of income of the anime
production house or the distribution company.  Buying VHS/LD/DVD can help
them, but not VCD.

USD50 for 5 episodes of AMG on VCD actually is a rip-off.  In Hong Kong,
the licensed AMG VCD set only cost you USD20.  (Mass production VCD, not
CD-R).

>>7)you never heard of LDs or DVDs, or tapes....
>In my country , LD WAS avaliable almost 2 years before VCD started to
>become popular. Well , i guess we just kick LD out of the market. By the
>way DVD is already popular here, for you info.

LD is only 2 years before VCD ?  I thought Singapore is well advance
in AV market.

>Well , i am holding on to both the VCD and LD version of AMG ... i don't
>really see the difference though.

You mean the quality of VCD and LD are the same ?

--
'CuSO4' Yung
cuso4@cuso4.com, yung@cuso4.com, chyung@hknet.com, cuso4@valise.com

Search field Search string