Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <chyung@hknet.com>
subject Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?
date Sat, 3 Apr 1999 03:09:56 +0800
> From: Kenji Shimizu <shimizu@telnet.or.jp>

>Uhmm... No... NOT very common in Japan, for anime... for "junk" type
>adult video, or remake version of adult video, it's becomming more
>common (but not yet that big...)

Not common, yes.  But some good anime has VCD released too, e.g.
Tenchi OVA (released by Gets), Urusei Yatsura (released by Kitty),
Maison Ikkuko (also released by Kitty), etc.

>It's more common in coutries which specializes in piracy and copy
>right violation.

True.  Especially in S.E. Asia.

>The retail price for the OFFICIAL copies of a VCD is outrageously high
>in comparison to it's quality, unless, except, of course, that is, you
>buy 1)pirate, or 2)"junk" type VCD. For anime, unless it's pirate, or
>purely for kids, don't exepect to find anything cheap (not to mention,
>it's hard to find one anyway)

Around 3900 yen each for the aforemention ones.

>The quality is much lower then even a normal class VHS...

Correct.

>The only reasons why you'd want to get VCD might be
>1)you hate VHS, and hi8, since they take up space (CDs are thin.....)

I do not have a video capture card in my PC, so I cannot do this.

>4)You want to drive Animation out of business (this is since most, or
>all Japanese animation is first released in LD/DVVD, etc... VCD formats
>are usually done when licenced out to second part, etc. so doesn't bring
>as much $$$ to the original anime creators... (gee, they are
>starving...?)), or LD/DVD/tapes makers out of business, or retaliers out
>of business....

IMHO, LD/DVD is the best buy for any anime.

>8)you love to spend hours and days looking for an anime VCD, just to
>find out they don't have an official one exsisting.... (true only in
>Japan. Go to HKG, or Taipei and you can find tons of pirate, at the
>right part of town... HKG gov. seems to be raiding tons of stores now...
>^_^;;;)

There exists many licensed VCD release in Cantonese/Chinese dub/sub
now, and the price of them is competitive to the pirate ones.
E.g. the recent licensed chinese sub of OVA Cyber Formula Sin vol.1
is sold for HKD39 ~= USD5 ~= JPY 600.

And yes, most, not all, of the pirated VCD shops are shutting down
by the HK Government.

>9)you love how the image quality is deteriorates amazingly, as soon as
>they put out the subtitle... (for example... the official ah!
>megami-sama VCD out in Chinese, the quality is acceptable as a VCD when
>it's playing the OP, etc... but as soon as the characters starts to
>talk, and they put the Chinese subtitle, the quality of the picture
>suddenly drops.... (gee... what kind of technology do they use? ^_^;;;)

True.

>This becomes really apparent when playing the VCD on a large projector
>TV, in a multi-disk player.... on a PC, you'd need a large screen
>(maybe) to sense this... if you live with like a small 15 inch monitor,
>maybe you won't feel anything... then again, your Belldandy will be
>smaller then a garage kit size belldandy (LOL)

Why would you want to play VCD on large screen ?  ^_^;
LD !!!!!

>(Note. The AMG VCD (official Chinese re-release) comes in a box, doesn't
>it? The design looked OK)

Forget it.  True AMG fans should get the original Japanese VHS/LD !  ^_^

>10)You can't speak/understand Japanese, and the only official translated
>thing out in your language is a VCD.... (gee, this would suck.... no
>other choice but to buy the trash quality VCD....)

IMHO, if you are really into anime, you should learn Japanese and watch
them in Japanese.  Translation (either dub or sub) will only have some
details lost in the process.  In addition to learning the language, you
should also try to travel to Japan to experience the culture, and maybe
you can bump into Kenji !    ^_^;

--
'CuSO4' Yung
cuso4@cuso4.com, yung@cuso4.com, chyung@hknet.com, cuso4@valise.com