Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from linley@netcom.com (Bruce Linley)
subject Re: [Noise] Re: AMG VCD?
date Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:37:17 -0800 (PST)
Kenji Shimizu <shimizu@telnet.or.jp> writes:

>Uhmm... No... NOT very common in Japan, for anime... for "junk" type
>adult video, or remake version of adult video, it's becomming more
>common (but not yet that big...) It's more common in coutries which
>specializes in piracy and copy right violation (uhmm... not pointing out
>any specific coutry... but most of you can take a guess, I assume).

I have no wish to start a flame war, but please do not equate VCDs and
piracy. This is precisely the same kind of FUD that threatens to ruin
MP3s. While I agree that VCD video quality is less than VHS, as an
optical storage medium, it eventually beats out VHS for picture
quality because VHS will degrade while VCD will not. And as a lowly
individual, VCD is the only durable video format I can produce myself.
I have used it to archive old 8mm and Super8 film home movies. And VCD
2.0 quality *is* much improved over its predecessor. VCDs can also be
played on nearly any computer unlike other video mediums. I am also
considering copying my VHS anime collection to VCD. I am not a pirate.
I've bought over $4000.00 worth of anime over the past couple of
years. And I go out out of my way to make sure it's legitimate and not
SonMay (or similar) crap, but I know all VHS tapes will eventually
die. I want to protect an investment which I know will eventually go
to magnetic heaven. Today, I buy DVD if it's available but it's
financially difficult to justify re-buying every anime title again on
DVD that I already own as VHS. If companies offered a VHS->DVD trade
up program, I'd jump at it, otherwise VCD as backup for VHS is an
acceptable solution to me for the time being (new optical recording
tech notwithstanding).

--
Bruce James Robert Linley |  +---+---+--_  | "Tea is always bitter... but
linley at netcom dot com  |  |   |NV | UT  |       blood is warm and sweet."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs