Re: Devil in Miss Urd #4 - Error in Translation?

to "Megami ML" <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Chris Pascual" <megane@whyweb.com>
subject Re: Devil in Miss Urd #4 - Error in Translation?
date Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:34:59 +0900
Brian Welch wrote:

- ---------

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed something on pages 16 and 17 in this issue.  This corresponds
> Volume 11, pages 22 and 23 in the manga, by the way.  In the DH version
, in
> the 4th panel of page 16 Devil Urd says "You can ward off an Urd bolt
even
> when I have your powers sealed."  My question is when did she seal
> Belldandy's powers?  Similarly, in the first panel of the next page (17
 or
> 23), Devil Urd asks Belldandy "What will you do now?  Break my seal?"
 Why
> would Belldandy want to break Devil Urd's seal, since that would only
make
> her stronger?
>
> Now, my Japanese reading ability is admitedly terrible, but I had assum
ed
> Devil Urd was saying something along the lines of "...when YOU have you
> powers sealed." and "...Break YOUR seal?"  These lines make much more
sense
> to me this way, since an unsealed Belldandy could clean Devil Urd's clo
ck
> for sure, and it's not the first time that a berserker Urd would have
been
> surprised by the resourcefulness of a sealed Belldandy.  That's the
> interpretation I had made of these pages until the DH translation came
out.
> Is this an error in translation, or did SP get the translation right?

I think you're right.  I stopped collecting the DH releases once I surpas
sed them in my manga collection.  Upon inspection of the Japanese text
though, I tend to agree with you.  My approximate translation is this:

	P. 22
	Panel 4, Urd:
	Japanese:  Sasuga ikkyugami  ne.  Fukan o shiteitemo, "bakurai courin" o
 fusegeru 	nda.

	English:  That's a First Class Goddess for you.  Even if you're sealed
off, you can 	block a "bakurai courin" (Falling Thunder Explosion).

	Panel 5, Urd:  Sono choushi ja, sou nando mo fusegesouni nai kedo. . .

	In this state, it doesn't seem you can block too many, though. . .

	P.23
	Panel 1, Urd:  Dou suru?  Fukan o hazusu?  Muri yo nee.  Bougyo houjutsu
 	tskainagara ja. . .

	What will you do?  Break your seal?  It's hopeless, just using "bougyo
houjutsu" 	(Defense Control Technique). . .

Urd didn't use any pronouns or Bell's name to refer to her in the dialoug
e, but usually in Japanese, pronouns aren't used very often.  She does
say, "That's a First Class Goddess for you." I think we can assume she's
talking to Bell, the only First Class Goddess present.  Also, if I rememb
er correctly, only First Class Goddesses have sealed powers.  So, Urd wou
ldn't have a seal.  Can someone help out on this?  I'm not sure if there'
s explicit definition on this point. Since she seems to be addressing Bel
ldandy in response to her having blocked Urd's attack, I'd assume that
Belldandy would be the subject of Urd's retorts.

Anyone else wanna confirm/deny the charge?

Megane

The Living Incarnation of UY's Megane
Day Director of BAKA!-con Video Programming
Visit the BAKA!-con Official Site:  Visit http://www.baka-con.org
Master of Most Things Dark, and A Few Things That Aren't (I'm retired)
Scholar of the God of Plot Development

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited