Re: [AMS] Re: Devil in Miss Urd #4 - Error in Translation?

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: [AMS] Re: Devil in Miss Urd #4 - Error in Translation?
date Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:08:45 -0500
Kenohki wrote:

>What in god's name... Okay, DH is going from bad to worse.
>
>Brian Welch wrote:
>
>> In the DH version, in the 4th panel of page 16 Devil Urd says "You can
>> ward off an Urd bolt
>
>..Urd Bolt? They are REALLY letting themselves to wild. Should this
>even be CONSIDERED a translation?

Good point.  There are definitely no Urudo's, in fact not any katakana at
all, in that panel.

>> even when I have your powers sealed."  My question is when did she seal
>> Belldandy's powers?
>
>Well, in a word, she didn't. It's a wrong translation. The line actually
>says "...even with your power sealed." (I am doing this from memory, but
>this is pretty much it). The seal refers to her earring (left?right? I
>can't remember... The side with long chain), which supposedly limits her
>powers. See the whole Terrible Master fiasco for details.

Speaking of TM Urd: for DH readers who were not getting the OMG back then,
it will be published in TPB form in late April, I believe.  DH has the date
posted on their site.  I posted the date on this a few weeks back.

<SNIP>

>What in god's name they are
>doing messing around translation like that I have no idea. There should
>be a limit on the amount of alcohol these guys can consume. I shudder to
>think what else could have caused them to do this.

Well, I've done a little thinking on that score.  A more chilling thought is
that whoever did the translation has a very limited knowledge of AMG and
didn't know about Belldandy's seal.  Maybe, since Devil Urd had been about
to seal Belldandy, they thought the seal phrases referred to Devil Urd's
seal that Skuld blew up.  Something like "Gee, Fujishima made this kind of
ambiguous.  I'll change it around so it makes more sense."

That way, "...even with your power sealed." becomes "..even when I have your
powers sealed."  and "...break your seal?" becomes "...break my seal?"  The
changed sentences would indeed be much clearer if the seal being talked
about were the one Devil Urd made.

As I said, it's a chilling thought, since you have to wonder just how many
other subtle references we can expect to be twisted into falsehoods by
someone translating and interpreting individual chapters with no knowledge
of the whole story.

<SNIP>

>To sum up... You're right. They are wrong. Give yourself a pat in the
>back. ^_^

Thanks, Kenohki, I think I'll just breath a deep sigh of relief, instead!
^_^

Best regards,
Brian Welch

Search field Search string