Re: Norse mythology

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from Brian Welch <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: Norse mythology
date Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:20:59 -0500
This message is in MIME format.

-------1941-----Avana-Web-Mail------

Chris Pascual wrote:
> Do
> the Norns in Norse Mythology serve a similar purpose to the Fates in Greek
> Mythology.  I used to know some Norse stuff, but I know Greek stuff better.

The Norns have many things in common with the Fates, but there are differences.
For one thing, the Norns are much more closely tied to the three aspects of
time than the Fates.  In fact, one might consider the Norns to be time
elementals.  The judgements of the Norns were immutable.  Even the gods never
tried to change their decreed fates.  There was a difference between gods and
mortals, though.  The Norns directly decided the fates of mortals at birth, but
seemed to only reveal the fates of the gods, not determine them.  There is some
speculation that the Norns were agents for a more powerful entity, one who
could determine the fates of the gods as easily as the Norns did with mortals.
Perhaps a Christian influence to the legends?

Anyway, to get this back to AMG, while the 3 sisters in AMG are ostensibly
under the control of Kami-sama, they do have more responsibility and are
apparently allowed to get away with more than their contemporaries.  They
definitely play more of an active role in determining the fate of the AMG
universe than Kami-sama does.

<<SNIP>>

> >This just illustrates one of the perils facing those of us who come into
> > AMG through the route of Norse Mythology, rather than the more heavily
> > travelled Anime/Manga route!
>
> So you were a mythology enthusiast before getting into anime?  Let me guess,
> you're an RPG, right?

No, just a Norse mythology buff.  I dabbled with RPGs once, but didn't have the
patience to get into them. ^_^

Brian Welch

-------1941-----Avana-Web-Mail--------

Search field Search string