Re: megami ML matome okuri

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from Christopher Jefferson <section9@bellsouth.net>
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:04:35 -0500

> ------- Message
>
> From: "Henry J. Cobb" <hcobb@slip.net>
> To: megami@ML.usagi.org
> Subject: Re: SKuld as a Valkyrie
> Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:23:44 -0800
>
> >In case anyone wants to know, Mr. Cobb is referring to "Der Ring des
> >Nibelungen" (The Ring of the Nibelungs), a Norse tale which became the basis
> >for Wagner's Ring Cycle (including the ever popular "Ride of the
> >Valkyries"). It also inspired Tolkein.  Warning: this is not a
> >light-hearted story, nowhere  near AMG in feeling.

That would be "Das Ring des Nibelungen" (umlaut not included^_^).

> But doesn't AMS (A Magicalgirl Show) deal with exactly the same theme of
> conflict between desire and duty as the Ring Cycle?  (Especially in the
> videos...)

AMS, afaik, does not strictly fall within the Magical Girl category, as the three

Megami are always Goddesses and don't have to undergo some ridiculous Sailor
Soldier or Rayearth transformation just to change clothing and do a magic powers
upgrade. Nope, if they want to get the powers, well, all they just have to do is
call on their lesser angels and PRESTO CHANGO, thermonuclear weapons!

Well, that's what Belldandy does when anyone so much as double parks in front of
K1's motorcycle.

> (I bet that Skuld thinks that a ring cycle is something a phone does when
> an incomming call is being indicated.)

Naaah.  Betcha that she's been hittin' the books as of late. Besides, the girl
knows a telephone inside and out. She knows the difference.

>         Henry J. Cobb   hcobb@slip.net          http://www.io.com/~hcobb
>     Skuld is exactly the sort of goddess who'd
>     love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Skuld: "Do you smell that?"

Belldandy: "What?"

<CUT TO BELLDANDY AND SKULD SURVEYING THE RUINS OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD SURROUNDING THE

TEMPLE. CUT TO SHOT OF URD, SITTING DOWN, LOOKING OUT OVER WASTELAND, SAKE BOTTLE

IN HAND>

Skuld: "Do you smell that? That's napalm, Oneseema! I love the smell of napalm in

the morning! One time we did a hail bombing down in Nifhelm. Not one body! Not one

stinkin' demon body."

Belldandy, recoiling in horror: "That's terrible, horrible."

Skuld (pulls Stetson hat with  1/9 Air Cavalry insignia low over her brow, while
arranging her kerchief): "Someday this war's gonna end, Oneseema. Someday...".

(with apologies to Frances Ford Coppola, Martin Sheen, and Robert Duvall)

Be Seeing You,

Chris

Search field Search string

archive list