Re: Norse mythology

to megami@ML.usagi.org, bwelch@avana.net
from Brian Welch <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: Norse mythology
date Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:23:09 -0500
This message is in MIME format.

-------32306-----Avana-Web-Mail------

Chris Pascual wrote:
> > Bas wrote:
> > >Jessica Amanda Salmonson writes in her 'Encyclopedia of Amazons' that
> > >Skuld is not only one of the Norns, a fact that should be known to mos
> > >people on this list, but also a Valkyrie, riding into battle with the
> > >other Valkyries.
> >
> > She is mentioned both as a Norn and a Valkyrie in the Voluspa.  Most
> of her
> > appearances are as a Norn, though.  She rides forth as the first of the
> > Valkyries in one scene of the poem.  An interesting aside is that in
> the
> > Voluspa Urd is the first Norn, Skuld the second, and Verdandi the third
> ..
> >
> > Brian Welch

> Nordic rune.  If that's true, does anyone know what it means?  Also, does
>  anyone else think that kami-sama is supposed to be Odin?  Urd did once
> steal his horse, Slephnir before, implying he is Odin.  What other charac
> ters in Norse mythology do you people out there think it would be cool
> if they cameoed in AMG?

Peorth is a rune signifying "secret" or "mystery" as far as anyone can tell -
its meaning isn't as clear as most runes.  There is no person associated with
the rune Peorth in Norse mythology.

There are those of us who see parallels between the BIG K and Odin, but they
are tenuous at best.  It's just that if you have to make associations, Kami-
sama matches up with Odin better than any other god.  Other Norse character we
have seen are the Fenris Wolf, the Migdard Serpent, Garm, and Sleipnir.  There
are parallels between the sealed Lord of Terror and the chained Loki, so you
may want to count him as well.  One of the characters I'd like to see is Hel,
the sister of Fenris and Midgard (all 3 are Loki's children).  By the way, Loki
is also Sleipnir's mother (Loki was disguised in the form of a very attractive
filly at the time).  Hel is probably dead in the AMS universe, though.  It
would be interesting to see Surt, the fire elemental who sets the world on fire
at the end of Ragnarok.  I doubt we'll see him, though, as he really doesn't
fit the tone of AMS and he only shows up at the beginning and end of the Norse
story.

Brian Welch

-------32306-----Avana-Web-Mail--------

Search field Search string