Re: AMG postcard....

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from Kenji Shimizu <shimizu@telnet.or.jp>
subject Re: AMG postcard....
date Thu, 08 Oct 1998 05:31:29 +0900
David Mandalis wrote:

> Kenji Shimizu wrote:

 (SNIP)

> It's only a description of a picture presentation format.  The original
> illustrated "postcards" were hand painted and the text was hand written by
> people specially hired because of their penmanship.  I had the privilege
> several years ago to actually meet a person that worked for a bulk mail
> house that was actually hired many years ago based solely upon a penmanship
> competition.  The idea was that hand written envelopes were more likely to
> opened by executives than were type written ones as they appeared to be
> personal communications (and not to be delegated to the clerical staff).
> The original "postcards" were reused by peeling off the stamp on one side
> and placing a fresh stamp on the other (where the alternate address would be
> found).  I have seen some of the originals and while most of the artwork is
> pretty cheesey and homespun, the intent was to provide some form of personal
> communication that looked good (or amused) for a very low cost.  Later,
> especially in Europe, artists enhanced their income by illustrating on the
> side and some of these sketches (by very famous individuals) fetch quite a
> sum.

 ???????? what???? You totally lost me here... are we talking abotu the
SAME postcard...??? I was talking about the Afternoon's offer... that
post card gift... (and the address on the envelope which arrived at my
place was written by myself... (in the order form...)

 ....??? what penman ship...? this thing is mass-produced.....
 (and it doesn't use any "return envelope thingy........???????)

 I'm lost........ (??????) ...what does penmanship have to do with this
postcard that arrived at my place recently...??? (really lost....)

 Anyone have the URL handy for the post card....??? (yeah, the "special
offer from Afternoon" post card...... I want to make sure everyone is
talking about the same thing here.....

Kenji Shimizu

Search field Search string

archive list