Re: Legit uses of MPG files. (Was Re: We are only human!)

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from Kenji Shimizu <shimizu@telnet.or.jp>
subject Re: Legit uses of MPG files. (Was Re: We are only human!)
date Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:49:52 +0900
Les Jenkins wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:17:48   Kenji Shimizu wrote:
>
> > Gee, I'd like to see this guy give me examples of JAPANESE ANIME songs
> >that were ever released as samples (officially)...  answer is, NONE....
>
> I'm afraid that's not entirely true Kenji. AIC has on their website MPG3 samples
of songs from a >number of their titles such as Tenchi Muyo. All of the samples are
a minute or less in length and >AIC asks that folks don't place them on their own
web sites (folks can link to them on AIC's server >though), but otherwise they are
there to give folks a small taste of what a soundtrack may be like. I >bought the
Tenchi Muyo Christmas Album after listening to a couple of the samples on that site.
>And the American import house ADV did make two whole tracks from the Burn Up W soundtrack
>available on their webpage.

 Rats... forgot that AIC had that guy there...
 but then again.. AIC is a anime house, not distuributor........ (animce
production vs. anime company (Kikaku, and disturibution)..... (anyone
have the info handy right now to check if AIC is a distuributor or a
anime house?)...I guess house would be translated into "studio"...?

> Still, folks need to remember that just because a couple of tracks are available
on an official site >doesn't give everyone the right to sample in track after track
and distribute them freely on the net >as if they were fistfulls of candy. There are
websites out there with whole CD's worth of sampled >music on their pages. Not only
does this give fans little reason to buy the original CD, but it gives >pirates an
easy way to make their own bootlegs as CD burners are very inexpensive these days
and >there are tools available to convert MP3s back into standard digital format readable
by any CD >player.

 by the way (a bit off topic here...)
 anyone compared the quality between MD and MP3-walkman...? (seems like
the MP3 might be a bit higher in quality then MD... but with MD, you can
record with a mic... ^_^;)

> > ...saying positive stuff about MP3 in the way you did IS supporting
> >piracy, talking strictly of anime songs.... (no, not Beastie Boys,
> >ANIME) samples of anime song=illegal piracy.
>
> The MPEG3 file format is a tool like any other and it can be misused like any other.
It is not, as has >been said, illegal in and of itself. Quite the opposite, really,
it's a legal file format for audio and video >storage. However some folks are using
it for illegal activity such as pirating whole CDs of songs >from any artist, anime
or otherwise. This is a pervasive problem and the U.S. recording companies >have been
very busy lately shutting down websites dealing in illegal samples of songs from various
>albums.

 (to be honest, I use it too.... but as Hitoshi always says, it's only
legal if you have the original copy on CD, etc... ^_^;)

> >...and why can't you take it OFF the ML????? Is it so hard to take it
> >off the ML???
>
> Kenji has a very valid point here. Hitoshi has stated in the past that the discussion
of illegal activity >is not allowed on the mailing list. Whether you feel it causes
any harm or not to trade MPEG3 files >of anime music doesn't change the fact that
it IS illegal in Japan and America (among other >nations) to do so and thusly posting
to the mailing list URLs where such file can be found or >discussing why you engage
in such activity is out of place. By the same standard discussion on >fansubs, whether
you feel they are harmful or not, is not allowed.

 (well, there's no way to stop them... so I guess you can always find
info on some newsgroups, etc....)... just not here, that's all ^_^;

> > ...well, this ML has become less informative... (not much stuff going
> >around on AMG.. ;_;) When I try to speak of Sakura Taisen, or other
> >Fujishima stuff, not many understands...... and more news on other newer
> >anime... not AMG... (sad...)
>
> Not much that can be done about that until more OMG stuff becomes available to chat
about. I >personally don't have a problem with you talking about Sakura Taisen, especially
now that some of it >will be coming to America from ADV. But that's just me. ;-)

 a bit suprised that Bandai Visual gave it awat to ADV.... they do have
that new company set up....
(and ADV is a bit slow in translation, don't you think?) oh well... not
that the new company is going to be faster or anything... -_-;;;
 I guess it's taking the Beam Entertainment strategy in disturibution,
maybe...?
 ...just a warning... the art in Sakura Taisen OVA... uhmm... it's
something of a quality/style in between the first game and the second
game... (anyone remember the second game..? most reviewers said "Yorime"
(eyes are a bit close together...).... not that it's bad... (it looks
cute, to a good number of people....)... but a bit "different" from the
first game...

a side note... the re-craft version of the sakura Taisen box set
(mouspad and mouse included) is dropping in price even more.... I guess
the Saturn's "Sata colle" (Saturn Collection) helped bring down the
price even more... -_-;;;;

Kenji Shimizu
(Afraid to see a 3D polygon Sakura Taisen 3 on the Dream Cast <-joke
^_^;)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited