Sexual Orientation in Heaven (WAS Re: (NOISE) The Newcomer and Sam.....)

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Sexual Orientation in Heaven (WAS Re: (NOISE) The Newcomer and Sam.....)
date Sun, 9 Aug 1998 09:47:05 -0400
Chris wrote:
>p.s.: in reference to an earlier debate that occured on the ML.
>
>Look people, the relationship between Urd and Marllier is best
>understood as a drinking buddy affair. Marllier never REALLY does
>anything of great import to seperate Bell-chan from K-1, as that would
>remove Urd's raison d'etre for being on the planet. BOTH  of them like
>it down here. Besides, no Troubadour.  But I digress. Their relationship
>just strikes me  as being the most natural if they're a pair of drinking
>hellraisers.
>
>One thing I think that I can safely say that, as Fujishima-sensei  is
>not the author of any of the IF series, the whole Urd / Marllier lesbian
>angle can be safely tossed out the window. Besides, if true it will
>throw a big monkey wrench into my fanfic which has her falling in love
>with a high ranking American naval officer. So, since it would be
>inconvenient for me, I declare the whole Urd / Marllier lesbian idea to
>be complete bollocks.

I was giving this some more thought after I replied to that earlier post,
and I ended up reinforcing my argument.  Anyway, here's the case:

Ch. 28 (The Scales of Love in DH):
Keiichi tells Belldandy and Urd that Mara said she was Bell-chan's fiance.
Now, there are two aspects to this:

1.  A Goddess-Demon relationship.
2.  A Girl-Girl relationship.

So which half of the equation does Urd find ludicrous?  The girl-girl half!
She literally collapses in laughter!  In Urd's eyes, compared to the
absurdity of a girl marrying a girl, a goddess marrying a demon doesn't even
deserve comment.

Corollary:  If Heaven has a policy of not discriminating against sexual
orientation, then Urd hasn't read it.

Ch.  54 (Miss Keiichi 1 in DH)
Urd collapses again when she sees the half-girl Keiichi in a dress.  No
inuendo about she-males, no nothing except laughter.  Apparently, even the
thought of a guy (especially K1!) cross-dressing is ludicrous to Urd.

Ch. 70 (Not in DH yet)
Peorth wonders if Keiichi and Tamiya are in a relationship together.  She
says something like (please correct me if I'm wrong, here!) "Is that what
the people here call 'gay'?"  This indicates that in heaven the concept of a
same-sex relationship is so foreign that they don't even have a word for it!
After all, if I see a kangaroo here in the US and then go to Australia and
see another kangaroo, I don't say "Is that what the people here call a
kangaroo?"  No, I say "That's a kangaroo!"  Apparently, even the worldly
Peorth has only heard rumors about this same-sex stuff.

So, until Fujishima-san shows us otherwise, heaven and all of its
inhabitants are by choice strictly heterosexual.  Of course, this doesn't
mean that people can't write bi-sexual fanfics, it just puts any such
fanfics on the same level of credibility as the IF series.

Brian Welch

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited