Re: UY/AMS

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from Les Jenkins <casotaku@earthlink.net>
subject Re: UY/AMS
date Sat, 02 May 1998 10:48:59 -0400

Sam wrote:

> Gotta say, I still think Ataru is in the chase becasue he wants to be
> (libido of a raging bull and all).

Actually, I think his libido has little to do with it. He's in it simply
because he wants to be and nothing more. Perhaps it gives him a feeling of
freedom and liberation. Perhaps he's just trying to get in all the fun he can
before he grows up and is forced by Japanese society into conforming along
with everyone else as seems to be the case by and large for the majority of
people in Japan. From what I understand, Japanese soceity can be rough on
anyone who's too individualistic after a certain age. Certain things and
behaviours are expected of you.

> Every time Keiichi has plucked up the courage to take things one step
> further, Skuld has threatened/intervened/kicked up a row. I hold that
> little lassie entirely responsible! -_^

She serves the role of "romantic foil" very well wouldn't you say?

> >There's quite a number of things Lum could teach Bell.
>
> Pretty much anything Lum knows I don't think Belldandy should know or want
> to know!

I disagree. I think Henry's comments are quite true. For as wonderful as Bell
is, she's not the sort of person I would marry. Truth be told, I'd marry Lum
before anyone from OMG, but then I've always felt that Lum had exactly the
sort of personality type I'd need to keep my butt in line. It's not that I'm a
habitual girl chaser or anything (I'm not), but I do lack motivation on some
things and Lum would know how to motivate me one way or the other. :-)

The point being that Bell is often content to leave things as they are as long
as K1 is happy. She only exhibits her independence and strength as a woman
when there is a crisis. Lum is much more likely to be strong and independent
on a regular basis having her own needs and desires she'd like to see
fulfilled instead of just sitting on them as Belldandy often seems to do. Lum
would help someone like myself to grow, Belldandy would cause me to stagnate.
For K1, however, she's a good match.

> I've seen this one played out a few times in fanfics. Regardless, if their
> perfectly congeneal kids are anything to go by, the Morisatos would a nice
> couple, and (if Kei and Bell broke the news) are likely to be very
> accepting (after both fainting).

Hard to say. From what I understand again from my studies, a lot of Japanese
parents (even the generally nice ones) would have a hard time with their kids
marrying foreigners. They may not oppose it, but they may very well disapprove
of it.

> Oi oi Henry, we're not all (ie almost none of us ;) a member of your
> "Keiichi is Skuld's father" faction! (dear me, this'll turn into the Ranma
> ML if we're not careful! Apologies in advance to members of the Ranma ML
> who may have been offended by that remark, BTW)

Again, I think Henry's point isn't without it's merits. Keiichi has played the
father role to Skuld on a couple of occasions. How much she regards him as a
father figure is open to debate, but I think there's some merit to the idea.

Les

--
Les Jenkins is The Casual Otaku       (http://casualotaku.dreamhost.com/)
To email me remove the words NOSPAM from my address.        Atheist #1085

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs