Re: SM Sountracks

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from martin@microdsi.net (martin)
subject Re: SM Sountracks
date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 15:23:14 -0500
> martin wrote:
>
> >     Moral arguments aside, can anyone tell me definitively if SM
> > versions of soundtracks (well, AMG soundtracks in particular) have the
> > exact same audio quality as the Japanese originals?  I've got SM and
> > original versions of some Ys CDs, and I personally can't tell the
> > difference, but I'm no audio expert either.
>
> Moral arguments aside, there is no appreciable difference in sound quality
> between most SM soundtracks and most original versions, OMG stuff
> included. Early on SM had lesser expensive equipment and it showed in the
> quality of the sound, but that situation hasn't been the case for many
> many years.
>
> Given that and without sounding too condemning, I'd ask that you at least
> make every effort not to purchase SonMay CDs unless you happen to reside
> in Taiwan and have no other choice. I know the originals are expensive,
> but there are a lot of people who's paychecks are dependent upon people
> buying legitimate copies. A true fan, I would think, would want to reward
> the folks who brought him or her the music and anime they so enjoy. I'll
> get off of my soap box now. Thank you.
>
> Les

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I agree completely about avoiding SM CDs
whenever possible.  The SM CDs that I do have (some Ys stuff) were bought at a
local Japanese/manga store, and only because I had been unable to find the
original versions.  Please note that I bought the original versions as soon as I
was able to find them.  Never let it be said that I'm not willing to part with
money in search of a clear conscience  ^_^
                                                    -Martin Dugan
                                                martin@microdsi.net

Search field Search string

archive list