Re: SM CD quality

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kevin Barth <kbarth@qrc.com>
subject Re: SM CD quality
date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:45:17 -0500
>Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 02:11:59 -0500
>From: martin@microdsi.net (martin)
>To: megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
>Subject: SM Soundtracks?
>
>    Moral arguments aside, can anyone tell me definitively if SM
>versions of soundtracks (well, AMG soundtracks in particular) have the
>exact same audio quality as the Japanese originals?  I've got SM and
>original versions of some Ys CDs, and I personally can't tell the
>difference, but I'm no audio expert either.
>
>                                                    -Martin Dugan
>                                                 martin@microdsi.net

Moral arguments aside, yes, they are exactly the same.  The gent who runs
the SM fact page mentions having run a couple of SM discs and the
corresponding original japanese releases through a digital analyzer, and has
found that (suprise suprise) they are exactly the same.

This makes sense.  Digital data is digital data.  If the discs were being
replicated by analogue means, there would be a chance for degradation.
However SM uses digital transfer methods so every copy is an exact copy of
the one it is made from.  They could copy the original, then copy the copy,
and continue copying the copy for several generations and it would still be
an identical copy.

Kevin

Kevin Barth
Research Analyst