Re: swastikas

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from mahoujin@rocketmail.com
subject Re: swastikas
date Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:12:58 -0800 (PST)
---Kevin Barth <kbarth@qrc.com> wrote:

> >And about the sauvastika (swastika)... it is anti-clockwise, unlike the
symbol
> >used by the nazis, and is (as they explain) a buddhist symbol.
> >

> You know, I really wish I could get a definitive answer on this one.  It's
> common knowledge that the Nazis took this ancient symbol and reversed it to
> form their symbol, causing much unecessary comfusion for people thereafter.
> On the other hand, several folks I have read (Cecil Adams comes to mind)
> have said that this is complete bunk, and that the ancients used clockwise
> and counterclockwise sauvastikas (old spelling) almost interchangably.
> Another one of those issues that we thought we knew until the researchers
> started getting involved.

[SNIP]

> Kevin

Here's what my two bits : The DH tells us that the symbol used by Manji (hero
of the story) is a buddhist symbol, being counterclockwise. It should
represent health or sumthing like that. The clockwise symbol is a german rune
meaning sun and represents strength and power. This is the symbol the nazis
took as their own. What are the ancients you refer to ? Ancient europeans ?
Asians ?

...and yes, scientists have the knack of making plausible implausible - take a
look at the quantum physics, for example ! ^_^;

Mahoujin
---
"How do you explain partial reflections ?"
---

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited