Re: OAV Opinion

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>
subject Re: OAV Opinion
date Sat, 07 Mar 1998 16:42:06 +0100
sanjiyan wrote:

<<SNIP>>

> Comparing the stories of the manga and the anime there are major
> differences.

Naturally... The manga is considerably older than the anime. There's like
what? 5-7 years between appearance of manga and anime? Naturally, one would
expect the technique to have develop a little in the later version. ^_^

> I like the anime, but I wish that they had done it differently.

Oh?

> Instead of a 5 volume compiled story, they should have did it more like how
> the anime for Ranma

Dear god, no... The LAST thing that I want to see is a mass-produced (cheap!)
animated figures of the goddesses. If you have not noticed, the animation
quality for Ranma TV eps are not exactly high, and I personally would not have
liked it if the quality was like that...

But then again, I am quality over quantity person.

And of course, one must note the fundamental differance in the storyline. In
Ranma, nothing ever gets resolved. By this, I mean that Ranma have a one
specific goal set - Ranma and others becoming "normal" again. However, since
meeting this goal would mean the end of the series, the writer thinks of all
sorts of crazy ideas to prevent this from happeneing - in other words, the
series could continue on forever without major change in the plot.

Now, AMS, there is never a set "goal" for the story to begin with. All that
has to remain a constant is Keiichi and Belldandy's contract. This situation
allows for lots of little goals to be set and resolved in the course of the
story, but to make it interesting, they must be pretty different. I think AMS
OVA did an excellent job. It introduces all the major characters, and once
that was done, they have one little story that spans two episodes.

> and Tenchi is.

Well, before it became a little anime empire on its own, it was originally a
six-episode OVA series. Then it caught on and on came the second OVA series,
TV (Another story altogether) two specials, two movies and (Heavens forbid!)
Pretty Samy TV series (Which has even less to do with the original storyline
than the TV series). If you are asking why AMS never grew this big then the
answer is simple : AMS has a strong Manga series still going for it and thus
making it more or les unnecessary for them to keep producing animated series
to keep fans interested (Can buy time before next animated series). TM's
manga, I am sorry to say, takes a VERY steep downhill fall in the story after
the first 2 volumes and never recovered since (I think we are in vol 5? 6?).
So they have to keep producing something to keep the fans interested. I think
same applies to El-Hazard?

> I have heard about the movie in the works,

...and we are all waiting...waiting... ^_^

> and wonder what the story line will be for it. With the story for the
> anime being the way it is, I am kind of curious.

Unless I am mistaken, only the MOST basic storyline had been released as a
rumor, and it's pretty vague and may just as well change. Kenji-san, you wanna
answer this?

     ______________  []=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[]
   _/\  \\\\    _    ||      Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>      ||
     \    /    \/ \  ||        Maintainer of AMS Universe         ||
    ___\__|    |\_/  ||    http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5142/   ||
        \_\          ||   Follower of the Order of the Holy Mac   ||

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs