Re: OAV Opinion

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Les Jenkins <Dream@cris.com>
subject Re: OAV Opinion
date Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:15:24 -0500
sanjiyan wrote:

> Hello all,

Howdy!

> As a first time poster, I just had a thought and wanted to see what any one
> else thinks about the same thing.

I'm always happy to shoot my mouth off. :-)

> I own both of the TPBs that Dark Horse have made, I get the new issues they
> come out with, and 3 of the 5 of the OAV tapes.
> Comparing the stories of the manga and the anime there are major
> differences. I like the anime, but I wish that they had done it differently.
> Instead of a 5 volume compiled story, they should have did it more like how
> the anime for Ranma and Tenchi is.

There are several reasons why the didn't take that route. One, Ranma 1/2 was
originally a TV series with well over a hundred episodes. Over time, the Ranma
series goes from telling an ongoing story to a more American style sitcom
format. It's still funny later in the series, but it doesn't have the same
engaging story telling style that it had in it's first season. I'd have been
upset if OMG had taken the same route.

As for Tenchi Muyo, well you could say that OMG did go that route. They just did
it in fewer volumes. The original Tenchi OAV series is 6 episodes long, OMG is
five. They both tell one small and engaging story. The only real difference
between them (other than the obvious ones of character and story) is that Tenchi
got a 7th special episode and then a second OAV series and then another special
and eventually a TV series and a movie, etc. etc. etc. The second Tenchi OAV
series was muddled and incomplete. The TV series basically took everything they
had established with the first OAV series and threw it out the window. To be
honest, I'm glad OMG didn't go that route. Given the amount of time they've
taken to get around to any more OMG anime, I'm hopeful they've had time to come
up with a decent story instead of slapping something together to get product out
the door to the fans like they did with Tenchi.

> I have heard about the movie in the
> works, and wonder what the story line will be for it. With the story for the
> anime being the way it is, I am kind of curious.

No one really knows for sure what the plot of the movie will be. Kenji's been
kind enough to share some rumors with us, but no official word has been said as
of yet (as far as I can recall at least).

Les

--
Les Jenkins    | The Casual Otaku (http://casualotaku.dreamhost.com/)
dream@cris.com | Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Anime! | Atheist #1085