Re: [OFF TOPIC] Netscape and Kanji

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>
subject Re: [OFF TOPIC] Netscape and Kanji
date Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:29:49 -0600
Bruce James Robert Linley wrote:
> I sympathize, I recall the difficulty I had (and I'm a career programmer too)
> in coaxing Netscape (3.0 at the time) to display Japanese text. Fortunately
> it's easier with NS 4.0 or newer. BTW, the following will not work with Win
> 3.1. I have no idea about Macs, but I've heard that the OS and/or Netscape
> come with Japanese fonts right out of the box. Linux, having been developed
> by programmers worldwide, comes with Japanese fonts as well as a nice little
> term program, kterm (Kanji Terminal). For Windoze 95/NT users the following
> should work:

Mac user speaking...
I have mailed Netscape user support, and they never told me how I am to
view Japanese pages. All they told me was that change the encoding to the
desired language, but even after I did that (This is what I had been trying
before I mailed these guys), it still won't display Japanese. Anyone here with
Us Mac OS 7 or 8 know how to fix this problem?

As far as I know, getting the "Japanese Language Kit" from Apple (about
$150) is the only way to view Japanese web pages on the Mac under the US
version of Mac System software. (It also lets you run software intended to
run on the Japanese Mac OS, and input Japanese Text in Shift-JIS encoding).
I know of no free or shareware solutions for web viewing on the Mac itself,
though I think there's a very slow web gateway that translates Kanji/kana
into GIFs.

I gather the Netscape/MISE hack takes advantage of some sort of Windows
Unicode font format. The Japanese Language Kit uses Apple WorldScript.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs