Re: Art Style & a question

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>
subject Re: Art Style & a question
date Sun, 04 Jan 1998 17:30:55 +0900
Patrick Clear wrote:

>   I never said the change was a bad thing.  In fact I love it.  Personally I
> find the early Belldandy kinda um... freaky.

Neither did I. I don't really like the early drawings, either. ^_^

>   What I mean is they flip the pages around so it reads left to right... I
> consider a book a true Manga is it still has the orginally text (aka I can't
> read a word in it yet ^.^;) and it reads from right to left.

I hate it when people give additional meanings to a word when none exist.
Manga is Japanese word for comics - nothing more, nothing less. You take
an issue of X-Men to Japan, and they will tell you that it's manga.
Basically, if it's a story being told using juxtaposed images in deliberate
sequences (Kenohki is trying to be technical), it's Manga - i.e. comics.

I don't think I've seen ANYONE say "true manga"... Do you say that it's
not a "true car" when you see the drivers's seat on the wrong side
(whichever is the "right side" where you are)? Or does is all of a
sudden not become a true literature when it's being written in different
way? Is it not a true computer if it's running a different OS than
yours (I can see some of you saying "perhaps"... Well, I LIKE Macintosh!)?
NO!NO!NOOOO!!!!!!

While it is interesting to see how Japanese words are gaining additional
meaning through the minds of Westerners, I also find it very annoying
when people do it like this...

Sorry about the outburst, BTW...

Jya!

--