Re: Comfy Chairs and Lumberjacks (Was Re

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Biggles Dictates a Letter <fwong@students.uiuc.edu>
subject Re: Comfy Chairs and Lumberjacks (Was Re
date Sat, 1 Jul 1995 00:46:13 -0500 (CDT)
> On Fri, 30 Jun 1995, Biggles Dictates a Letter wrote:
>
> > If only I could find out what video/show/special had the Philosopher's
> > Football (soccer for us Yanks...^_^) match...
>
> The MP TV ep with the sports commentary on the games being played:
> soccer: Doctors versus the Pirates, rugby: 15th century royal court vesus
> some bristol team...

No, I don't believe that was it...  When I first saw the Philosopher
soccer (football) match, it was on a TV special on CBS in Chicago *many*
years ago.  John Cleese was the announcer, and the match-up was something
like:  "Modern Existentialists vs. Greek Idealists", and had all of the
Greek thinkers on one side (they all had togas and big white beards) and
the Existentialists on the other (people like Nietsche, Sartre, etc., all
wearing these very conservative coats, pants, and hat).  Everyone was in
position to start a soccer match, but when the starting whistle was blown,
they all simply paired up (Greek with Existentialist) and started walking
around the field talking with each other (and completely ignoring the
ball).  Meanwhile, Cleese is making these wonderful comments like "Oh! And
Plato has made an excellent point about the existence of Being!"  and so
forth.  Suddenly, somebody (one of the Greeks; I think it was Socrates),
makes some sort of philosophical breakthrough.  He stops, points his
finger in the air (you know the action; the same one as when someone has
some sort of idea), and then runs to the ball, runs it down the field, and
kicks it into the opposing goal with nobody stopping him.  Then he goes
running around the field with his arms in the air, and all of the other
Greek thinkers cluster around him giving him hugs and such...

That was *AWESOME*...^_^ ^_^ ^_^  Especially after having taken a couple
of philosophy courses...:)

Well, I'm off to the Chi. ComiCon early tomorrow, so I better get some
sleep...

Oyasumi nasai!
- Felix  ^_^

--
Felix					"Dare ka ga itta,'Koi wo sureba
fwong@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu			 samishiku naru' to..."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited