Re: [AMS] Skipping Chapters

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>
subject Re: [AMS] Skipping Chapters
date Wed, 03 Dec 1997 19:00:29 +0000
Richard Lawson wrote:

> > > WAAAH ! Why they skip chapters ? WHY ? NANI DESU ?

-_-;;; Um... Do you know what you just said? You should say "Naze".

Kenohki doesn't really feel like explaining...

<<SNIP>>

> > Assuming that Dank House isn't dropping more chapters when they put their
> > collections out:
>
> > 555-Goddess has Chapters 1, 14, 17, 18, 19 and 20.  This is a random
> > sample from volumes 1, 2 and 3.
> >
> > So, just in this book, they've charged you for one and a half volumes and
> > delivered the equivalent of slightly less than one.

<Singing>It's a wonderful thing called business... </Singing>
^_^ Sorry.

> Dark Horse has said that one reason they didn't translate a lot of the
> early chapters was because of the wide availability of translations on the
> 'net.

Actually, that's not what I heard... When DH first picked up on the series,
they didn't know how successful this series was going to be. So what they did
was print out the equivilent of the OVAs to see what kind of response they get.
This accounts for the HUGE gap in the first few issues. Then when they started
to make some prfit, they went back and filed in some of the chapters they've
skipped over, but since they kept falling behind, they sort of quit doing that
and picked a point on one of the volumes and continued on from there.

>Also, the artwork didn't settle down until the end of chapter 1.

Chapter one? I'd say more like end of volume 3 or perhaps even later that that.

> I found the price quite reasonable.  The same that Viz charged for their
> first volume of Ranma 1/2.

Reasonable? I don't think so. Just because Viz set that outrageous price
doesn't mean that price is reasonable. Especially when they're being so sloppy.

Skipping around the chapters seems to be DH's common practice. For instance,
their release of Taiho Shichauzo... Lots of skipping around when I last checked
the series. This is of course, outdated info, but I doubt they took the trouble
to go back and fill in all of the chapters.

> And, quite frankly, I'd be glad to pay a little extra to keep Dark Horse in
> business and providing these translations.  Comics are a cutthroat business
> and Dark Horse doesn't have the money that Viz does.

They really should take advantage of the translations on the net. They
shouldn't steal the translation, of course, but I hardly doubt the translators
who put their work on the net for veryone to downoad woul ask for much higher
price for their work than DH's translators are demanding (plus, they are
probably more accurate).

--
   _/\  \\\\    _    ||      Kenohki <kenohki@geocities.com>      ||

Search field Search string