Re: [AMS] Manga vs OAVs.

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from JBPendragon <bellsj01@student.ucr.edu>
subject Re: [AMS] Manga vs OAVs.
date Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:11:03 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> But the original manga author had a very strong hand in the OMG OAVs plot
> and character design.

A very strong hand is worlds away from complete control, Cobb-san.

> The question is: Do you wish to "allow" Fujishima-sama to rewrite his own
> works?

I think that were the anime an absolute product of Fujishima, with all
concepts and scripts coming from him, then yes, I would allow him to
rewrite his work.  He's the Creator, he has that power.  However, a glance
at the credits after each OAV will dispell the illusion that this is what
happened.

> As far as character design goes, around Manga collection volume 9 it fits
> closest to the OAVs, but it continues to evolve.  Compare the adult Skuld
> of volume 6 (very K1ish in eyes and eyebrows) to the young lady of volume
> 15, who's diverged quite a bit from K1.

Well, I have never believed that Skuld and Keiichi look -anything- alike.
Manga artwork in Japan will of necessity create similarities, but even so
I didn't see this resemblance others speak of.  I won't say it's
nonexistant, but merely invisible to me.  As such, I cannot comment on the
significance, if any, of its presence.

With all due respect, I remain,

J. Lan Bellsmith, Lord of Pendragon
Belldandy no Dai'Shinkan
Parvati IV no kokoro no Wu

"Smooth as buttered moonlight, the grace of the dance,
That takes us here and there again, with interlinking hands.
Begin as two, end as one, or is it the other way about?
What difference, what matter, across open lips:  Air---
In and Out."

                                           email:  bellsj01@cocoon.UCR.EDU

Search field Search string

archive list