Is Urd getting cuter?

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>
subject Is Urd getting cuter?
date Wed, 8 Feb 1995 20:00:01 -0500

SSL> Um, is it just me, or is Urd starting to get cuter? In the OVAs, she
SSL> looked good, but I don't think cute was the look they were going for.
SSL> Doesn't matter. She wasn't.

There are many terms I'd use to describe Urd. ``Cute'' is not among them.

SSL> However, I've picked up DH's translations, and as the story goes on, Urd
SSL> starts to look better and better (Which seems to be the general trend
SSL> with the characters anyway ^_^). Am I going nuts? Is Urd _really_
SSL> becoming _cute_? :)

Well, if you mean her little SD Urds (like the ones that show up in the OAV
titles), yeah, they are cute. Then again, when Fujishima started drawing
AMS he deliberately changed his style from what you see in Taiho. As things
progressed he gradually fell back into his earlier style, and some of that
``edge'' from the early AMS art faded out. So yeah, I suppose ``cuter''
would describe it.

SSL> BTW, there was a discussion a little while ago about Mara's (Marller's)
SSL> gender, and there was mention that some people thought she was male. For
SSL> some reason, though, it never even crossed my mind until I read that.
SSL> Looks like K1 had some troubles, too. :)

That's the point of androgyny. Nobody uses a gender-specific name or
pronoun for her until after she tells K1 that she's Belldandy's fiance. She
/is/ a demon, after all, and lying through her teeth is part of her stock-
in-trade.

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>           | Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox | children under 10 should avoid prolonged