Re: Mononoke Hime (was Re: (Noise) Re: AMG Movie)

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Les Jenkins <Dream@cris.com>
subject Re: Mononoke Hime (was Re: (Noise) Re: AMG Movie)
date Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:01:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Sam B Hay wrote:

> I've got Totoro, Nausicaa and Kiki's recorded off television for me by
> friends in Japan (and prized possessions they are too) but am still waiting
> to see the Disney release. It was well over a year ago that the Big Mouse
> picked up the rights to ditribute Miyazaki stuff in the west, and I haven't
> heard anything else since. Does anyone know if the films were actually
> released?

Disney hasn't released anything as of yet. Word has it that the first will
be the aforementioned Monoke Hime. Which is interesting considering it's
probably the most "mature" of all of Miyazaki's stuff to date. Not exactly
a kid flick. Thus, Disney will be releasing it under one of it's affiliate
lables (possibly Touchstone) and will be aiming it at an adult audience.
If the rumors turn out to be true, it'll get a full theatrical release.

As for the other titles, I'm told we can expect the first sometime in late
fall.

> For those of you particularely un-keen on Disney, aparantly Hayao Miyazaki
> told them during negotiations that he did not like them at all!

That's not really true. Miyazaki has quite a bit of respect for Disney as
animators and story tellers, but has taken them to task over their overly
kidified fare. The license agreement does stipulate that Disney is not
allowed to edit the content of any of the movies/shows beyond dubbing it
into English (or Spanish or whatever as they have a worldwide license).

> Oh, and someone tell me if I've swandived way off topic. I'm new here :)

Technically, yes, but hopefully most folks won't mind. :-)

Les

Les Jenkins    | The Casual Otaku (http://www.cris.com/~Dream)
dream@cris.com | Animecca: The Anime Magazine (http://animecca.com)

Search field Search string