Re: Mononoke Hime (was Re: (Noise) Re: AMG Movie)

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Christopher Jefferson <ALMIGHTY@worldnet.att.net>
subject Re: Mononoke Hime (was Re: (Noise) Re: AMG Movie)
date Wed, 01 Oct 1997 00:25:08 -0400
Sam B Hay wrote:

> >That would be Mononoke Hime, which is famous director Miyazaki's final
> >release to a fabulous career that includes Totoro, Nausicaa, and
> >Laputa to name a few.
> >
> >Earlier this year (or was it late last year?), Disney purchased
> >exclusive rights to the entire Studio Ghibli library.  (Ghibli is
> >Miyazaki's studio, btw.)
>
> I've got Totoro, Nausicaa and Kiki's recorded off television for me by
> friends in Japan (and prized possessions they are too) but am still waiting
> to see the Disney release. It was well over a year ago that the Big Mouse
> picked up the rights to ditribute Miyazaki stuff in the west, and I haven't
> heard anything else since. Does anyone know if the films were actually
> released?
>
> For those of you particularely un-keen on Disney, aparantly Hayao Miyazaki
> told them during negotiations that he did not like them at all!
>
> Oh, and someone tell me if I've swandived way off topic. I'm new here :)
>
> Sam

Well, I was just making an innocent inquiry, but yes, we did veer
off-topic, but only to a mild degree. After all, consider this
possibility:

What if the Walt Disney Company purchases the rights to, oh, say, AMS?
The possibilities are frightening, especially if that "Disney Way" of
doing things penetrates into production. One can imagine Urd having an
argument in the Temple kitchen with a Japanese version of Mrs. Potts,
the tea kettle from "Beauty and the Beast". Or the "cute animal
sidekick" feature of many Disney releases. The mind reels. The stomach
turns.

Oh yes, and since Disney IS a family oriented company, we'd have to do
something about Urd's wardrobe, now wouldn't we.

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

Be Seeing You,

Chris

Search field Search string