Re: Manga vs Comics.

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Chris and/or Meryl Jefferson <ALMIGHTY@worldnet.att.net>
subject Re: Manga vs Comics.
date Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:16:59 +0000
At 01:41 PM 6/30/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I walk down to my neighborhood Japantown and pick up Japanese Manga for
>half of the price of the English translations. (The Manga volume
>has thirty more pages, that's about one extra chapter)

Are you actually able to get your hands on the copies of AFTERNOON magazine,
or the stories when they are published in volume format?

>My only compliant is that AMS is written without the cheater Hiragana
>(Even though the Kanji aren't that tough).  What sort of audience does
>Kosuke Fujishima think he's writing this silly little story for anyway?

A bunch of Otaku who pick up they're copies of AFTERNOON when they're done
inhaling noodles at the ramen stand, that's who. Complain though one might,
the Three Goddesses have made Kosuke Fujishima a reasonably wealthy guy.

>(Note that it is NOT in general possible to write Japanese in pure
>Hiragana, because they've got too many homophones and lack civilised
>touches like spaces and punctuation.  So it isn't entirely a plot to
>annoy gaikokujin ;-)

Clueless gaijin here knows not a whit of Japanese, so inquiring mind wishes
to know: what is the big difference between Hiragana and Kanji?

>They do a much better job at stocking SM, which does have the cheats,
>but last I saw, they still had the 14th volume of the AMS manga.

Gosh, last I heard they were up to volume 17 in Japan and Bell-chan was
going through an "I've lost my Powers, eeek!" storyline.

>Kinokuniya Book Store
>San Francisco, Ca
>(415) 567-7625

Now I have to see if there's a Japanese outfit in the Southeast Florida
area. I doubt it; lots of Thai and Vietnamese stuff, not to mention garden
variety Chinese markets.

>	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@slip.net          http://www.io.com/~hcobb

Be Seeing You,

Chris

"All power tends to corrupt; absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely."
			-Lord Acton.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited