Re: About Kenji, a Fanfiction character.

to <megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com>
from "Chan Wei Lik" <weimin@pl.jaring.my>
subject Re: About Kenji, a Fanfiction character.
date Sat, 1 Mar 1997 23:15:38 +0800
> From: hikari <hikari@ricochet.net>

> I heard from people who tried to do that and got hammered.  So, well,
> what shall I do?  Maybe other people have higher degree of patience, but
> for me, I simply don't respond well to nasty thing, that's part of my
> nature which I am afraid can't be changed easily.

And you go around saying nasty things about us. Have you ever thought that
authors might want to hear about where they went wrong instead of useless
things like "your story is crap"? Did YOU ever send any consturctive
criticism to a fanfic author to help them improve their story? I have, and
they have been quite willing to listen and improve their works. Everyone
benefits from that.

>  And you, my friend,
> you at least pay attention to details in the AMG series, but you can't
> say the same for others, right?

No, but most of the fanfic authors I know of are willing to correct the
mistakes in their stories if pointed out to them.

>  And I am sure you know of people who
> based their stories *solely* on DH version and dubbed OVA (which
> contains a lot of translation errors, such as that "I want you to be my
> girlfriend" thing), not to mention even with such limited information,
> they choose to overlook even some more useful hints.  That doesn't seem
> very responsible to me.

Two things, first, many fanfic authors are indeed working on such limited
information, it's not like they have any choice, they can't read Japanese.
I am only slightly better, I can read chinese. Second, most of them do
labour to find accurate information to use for their fics and what you said
is not fair to them. I'm on the Fanfic ML. There fanfic authors post their
stories for public commenting. They then use these comments to improve
their stories. They post the improved versions and get more comments, until
the fic reaches its final form. Then the fic is posted to RAAC, by which
time it is considered frozen. Have you seen many fanfics while they were in
development? I don't think so.
I have helped go through several authors' fics, not one of them would I
consider an irresponsible author.
Fanfic authors want to create entertaining stories for everyone, and we
would be very glad if you could help us do that instead of just flamming us
about how bad our writting is. I would extend an invitation to you to join
the Fanfic ML, however it is down at the moment, the moderator is moving
house, I'll let you know when its back up.

And I'm not the only FFML member here, when are the rest of you going to
defend your works?

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited