Subject: Tech FAQ v0.3
From: Brian Welch <[email-masked]>
To: Megami ML <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:02:42 -0700 (PDT)

I think the Tech FAQ is finally on the home stretch. Hopefully,
the new grouping of topics will make more sense. As always,
please C&C with technical points, additional questions, etc.

I have posted this as one large message, about 35k. Please snip
out all non-relevant portions when you reply, to keep down mail
volume as much as possible.

Thanks,
Brian W.

---------------------------------------------------------------
AA! MEGAMI-SAMA / AH! MY GODDESS / OH MY GODDESS! TECHNICAL FAQ
---------------------------------------------------------------

                    Version 0.3 June 5, 2002

-----

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.   WHY THIS FAQ?

2.   WHAT IS THE NATURE OF THE AMG UNIVERSE?

     2A.  WHAT IS THE UNIVERSAL SUPERSTRING?

     2B.  WHAT IS YGGDRASIL?

     2C.  WHO RUNS YGGDRASIL?

     2D.  WHAT IS THE DEMONS' COMPUTER SYSTEM?

     2E.  WHERE IS HEAVEN?

     2F.  IS HEAVEN'S UNIVERSE SIMILAR TO OUR OWN?

3.   WHAT IS THE PHYSICAL NATURE OF A GODDESS?

     3A.  HOW DOES A GODDESS GET HERE?

     3B.  WHY CAN WE SEE GODDESSES?

     3C.  CAN ANYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE AFFECT A GODDESS?

     3D.  HOW POWERFUL IS A GODDESS?

     3E.  WHAT ARE SEALS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?

     3F.  HOW LONG DO GODDESSES LIVE?

     3G.  WHERE DO GODDESSES GET THEIR ENERGY?

     3H.  DO GODDESSES EAT?

     3I.  WHAT DO GODDESS CLASSIFICATIONS MEAN?

     3J.  WHAT DO GODDESS MARKINGS MEAN?

4.   WHAT ARE ANGELS?

     4A.  WHEN CAN A GODDESS ACQUIRE AN ANGEL?

     4B.  HOW POWERFUL ARE ANGELS?

     4C.  WHAT LIMITATIONS DO ANGELS HAVE?

     4D.  HOW MANY ANGELS CAN A GODDESS HAVE?

     4E.  DO DEMONS HAVE ANGELS?

5.   HOW DO TRANSPORT MEDIUMS WORK?

6.   ARE GODS AND DEMONS RELATED?

7.   WHY DO GODS AND DEMONS NEVER KILL EACH OTHER?

8.   WHAT ARE CONTRACTS?

9.   WHAT OTHER MAGICAL BEINGS ARE THERE?

-----

1.   WHY THIS FAQ?

This FAQ, like most things in overanalysis, began with a simple
question and snowballed from there. In this case, that question
was "How could Yggdrasil have emulated and reconstructed the
universal superstring?" The only scientifically possible answer
to this question led to the realization that the true nature of
Yggdrasil, Heaven, and goddesses like Belldandy must be quite
different from what most people think. This discovery fueled
the desire to discover what other revelations were hidden among
the tidbits of information about angels, etc. scattered
throughout the manga.

This FAQ will attempt to form a cohesive, scientifically
rigorous (as rigorous as possible - this is fantasy, after all)
and spoiler-free picture of the reality which Fujishima has
created for his characters. Some of the information in this FAQ
is taken directly from canon, while other information is
inferred from canon. The inferred portions represent the
simplest and most likely explanations for behavior in the
manga, based upon current understanding of the physics of the
universe. Hopefully, this FAQ will remain layman friendly. In
other words, ordinary people will hopefully be able to
understand most of this.

Belldandy or simply "goddess" will often be used in this FAQ,
though such references should be taken as meaning all gods and
goddesses.

NOTE: This FAQ is solely based upon the manga. The OVAs and
movie present different realities which will not be examined
here. However, most of the information here will still apply to
the OVA and movie realities.

-----

2.   WHAT IS THE NATURE OF THE AMG UNIVERSE?

Despite what one might assume from the light-hearted tone of
"Oh My Goddess!" and its roots in Norse mythology, the AMG
universe is in fact based upon the same laws of physics and
works in the same way as our own universe. Things like string
theory and black holes, and names like Maxwell and Schrodinger
are encountered throughout the manga. Besides liking
motorcycles, it seems Fujishima also has a thing for hard
physics.

To understand how a goddess like Belldandy does things in AMG,
you first have to understand what the universal superstring is
and how it works. During the Terrible Master Urd story arc, we
encounter the "universal superstring."  We are told that if the
universal superstring is cut, the universe will cease to exist.
So, what is the universal superstring and why is it so
important to the existence of the universe?

2A.  WHAT IS THE UNIVERSAL SUPERSTRING?

According to the branch of physics called string theory, the
universe is made up of lots and lots of tiny loops of string
with radii of approximately the Planck length (approx. 10e-33
cm). These strings are, in fact, every elementary particle
(i.e. quark, lepton, etc.) in the universe, so there are
zillions of them.  String theory was developed as a way to
reconcile observed behavior described by Einstein's theories
with quantum mechanics (the study of how really tiny things
like electrons work). String theory led to M theory* which in
physics circles is the currently leading candidate for
developing the long sought Theory of Everything.

*The Universal Superstring chapters came out several years
before M theory was first postulated and even before 11
dimensional supergravity was generally accepted, so those
familiar with such things will have to make allowances.

Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman put a twist on
string theory once in a lecture by supposing that, instead of
zillions of individual loops of string, there might be only ONE
loop of string. This string, in Feynman's example, would
"paint" the universe like the electron beam in a TV set paints
the image on the screen, becoming sequentially every elementary
particle in the universe. Of course, such a string would have
to move, as someone once said, at a god-like (pun intended)
rate of speed. Also, since the universal superstring would be,
in fact, the entire universe, if it were cut... you understand
the problem.

If this is confusing, then picture an image on a TV screen. In
Feynman's example the universe is not the screen itself, but
the image (picture) being presented.  Now, in a standard TV
that picture is made up of little red, green, and blue dots
(phosphors) which are selectively lit up by a stream of
electrons from an electron gun located at the back of the TV's
picture tube, and which together form the image we see. In our
example those dots are elementary particles, the universe is
the image, and the universal superstring is the stream of
electrons which light the phosphors to create the image. Now,
in a TV if you can control the electron stream, then you can
make the image look like anything you want. That's what
Yggdrasil does. It controls the universal superstring just like
the signal from the TV station (or VCR or DVD) tells the
electron beam what picture to paint on the screen. Therefore,
everything which exists in the universe can be affected by
Yggdrasil. In fact, problems in Yggdrasil can be reflected as
problems in this universe, things such as unexplained
earthquakes, etc.

2B.  WHAT IS YGGDRASIL?

Yggdrasil is the computer system of the gods. It runs our
universe, or at least has the ability to run it and make any
changes that the gods see fit to make. Yggdrasil does this by
controlling the universal superstring. In addition to
controlling the superstring, Yggdrasil can also simultaneously
emulate and reconstruct our universe's superstring, though it
takes all of Yggdrasil's resources to do so. For all intents
and purposes, Yggdrasil was down for an extended period of time
(the moon rock bracelet chapters) while this emulation and
reconstruction took place.

2C.  WHO RUNS YGGDRASIL?

Urd is the system administrator for Yggdrasil, assisted by
Skuld. Peorth helps out in times of crisis or when neither Urd
nor Skuld is available to run things. Belldandy has helped out
in the past, but hasn't been back to Heaven to do so since the
series began. Apparently, Yggdrasil cannot be administered from
our universe. Urd and Skuld always return to Heaven when they
need to work on Yggdrasil.

2D.  WHAT IS THE DEMONS' COMPUTER SYSTEM?

The counterpart to Yggdrasil on the demon's side is Nidhog.
Although Yggdrasil and Nidhog are connected in some way, the
nature and extent of that connection is not known. It appears
that Nidhog does not control the universal superstring as
Yggdrasil does. Perhaps, then, Nidhog goes through Yggdrasil
when a demon performs magic? If so, this might explain why
demons are not allowed to hack Yggdrasil, and will be punished
by their own high council for doing so. The standard punishment
for hacking is removal of all powers and reincarnation (with
consequent suppression of former personality and memories) as a
Level 4 life form (non-sentient species of animal, such as a
cat).

2E.  WHERE IS HEAVEN?

Heaven and its inhabitants exist completely outside of this
universe and all associated parallel and pocket universes (such
as those postulated by the Ekpyrotic alternative to the Big
Bang theory). We know this because Yggdrasil was able to
emulate the universal superstring after the universal
superstring was cut. Because the superstring is everything in
this and parallel universes, Yggdrasil cannot be something
which is created by the universal superstring. After all, even
Yggdrasil cannot emulate itself. It must be created by another
universal superstring, which means it exists in a separate
universe completely unrelated to this one and its universal
superstring. Yggdrasil is in Heaven, so Heaven must also exist
in that separate universe.

2F.  IS HEAVEN'S UNIVERSE SIMILAR TO OUR OWN?

Yes and no. According to string theory our universe is 10*
dimensional. However, looking around at our universe we only
see 4 dimensions: length, width, height and time. Somehow, when
our universe formed the other 6 dimensions never expanded along
with the 4 we can see. You can think of them as being tied up
in very tiny knots on the 10 dimensional superstring. They're
still there, just too small to see. However, since Yggdrasil
was able to emulate and reconstruct the 10 dimensional
superstring it must be at least 10 dimensional itself.
Moreover, those 10 dimensions must be fully expanded, unlike in
our own universe which has 6 unexpanded dimensions. After all,
even Yggdrasil cannot fabricate things in dimensions which it
can't access. Since Yggdrasil is in Heaven, Heaven must also
exist in at least 10 dimensional space. In other words, all of
Heaven exists in a universe in which all 10 dimensions of its
superstring have expanded.** Looking at pictures of Heaven,
it's likely that forces such as 10D gravity work a little
differently from our 4D versions. In this sense, Heaven is a
very different place from our own universe.

* Actually, the currently most popular model is 11 dimensional.
However, at the time when this chapter first appeared in Japan
(early 90's) the 10 dimensional model was dominant. Therefore,
in the interests of consistency this FAQ will stick with 10
dimensions even if it's outdated.

** Heaven's universe could have more than 10 dimensions, but
this would add unnecessary complexity. 10 dimensions, just like
our own universe, works just fine.

-----

3.   WHAT IS THE PHYSICAL NATURE OF A GODDESS?

Belldandy comes from Heaven. Since Heaven exists in a universe
with 10 expanded dimensions, Belldandy is a 10 dimensional
being (9 spatial dimensions, 1 time dimension) in the sense
that we are 4 dimensional beings (3 spatial dimensions, one
time dimension). This is supported by the fact that according
to the manga the 3 dimensional forms of the goddesses which we
see are not their true forms and must be constantly regenerated
or else they will fade from 3 dimensional space and we will no
longer be able to detect them. They will still be there, only
in hyperspace from our point of view.

3A.  HOW DOES A GODDESS GET HERE?

Since Belldandy is a fully 10 dimensional being, she cannot be
constructed by our superstring, which can only create 4
dimensional beings with 6 unexpanded dimensions. However,
Yggdrasil is fully 10 dimensional and can emulate our
superstring. Therefore, it would be easy for Yggdrasil to
insert Belldandy into our universe and maintain her true form
here. Transport mediums will be discussed later in this FAQ.

3B.  WHY CAN WE SEE GODDESSES?

Since Belldandy is a hyperdimensional being, how can Keiichi
see or touch her at all? For this discussion, let's forget
about time and talk 9D Belldandy vs. this 3D universe. Consider
what happens when I push my 3D hand through the 2D plane formed
by a surface of water. Part of me now intersects that plane. If
there were a 2D being existing in that plane it would be able
to see the cross section of my hand which intersects its space.
Similarly, Belldandy is visible from our 3D space as long as
her hyperdimensional body intersects our space.

Of course, as mentioned at the beginning of this section,
Belldandy must expend energy to remain visible to us. Consider
what happens when I remove my hand from that surface plane of
water. From the point of view of the beings in that plane I
have left their universe. My hand may in fact be hovering just
above the water's surface, but they have no way of knowing
that. From their point of view, I have left their space and
entered hyperspace. Similarly, Belldandy can still be right
next to Keiichi from her point of view but invisible, in
hyperspace from Keiichi's point of view.

But why fade at all? As long as Belldandy doesn't remove
herself from intersecting with 3D space she shouldn't
disappear, right? Apparently not. According to the manga it
does take some energy for Belldandy to remain visible from 3D
space. If Belldandy stops expending that energy, she will fade
from 3D space. Therefore, there must be a force trying to eject
her from our space or perhaps our universe is drifting through
hyperspace relative to Belldandy.

3C.  CAN ANYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE AFFECT A GODDESS?

Yes, though the extent of any effect is limited and somewhat
unpredictable. Returning to the surface of water analogy, if
the beings in that 2D plane were to destroy a chunk of my hand
which intersected their universe, I would feel the pain. If
they were to completely obliterate the portion of my hand in
their universe, my hand would be cut in half. However, their 2D
universe and my 3D hand are only separated by one dimension. If
the difference were 2 dimensions, I would only have a hole
drilled through my hand. 3 dimensions and I would only have a
point affected. In Belldandy's case the difference is 6
dimensions, meaning effects on her true form are miniscule and
at least to some extent unpredictable. Thus, Urd can become
drunk from alcohol, while Belldandy is immune to the
intoxicating effects of alcohol but easily gets drunk from
cola. Furthermore, poisonous substances such as jellyfish
stings don't bother goddesses. In general, from Urd's comments
on potions it's plain that divine beings and humans can react
very differently to chemical substances. Finally, extremes of
temperature (hot or cold) don't seem to affect goddesses
either.

Taking this to an uncomfortable extreme, it is unlikely that
even a nuclear or antimatter explosion would have much of an
effect on Belldandy. Even if she didn't take defensive
measures, all particles and energy released by such an
explosion would be 4 dimensional, and 4D antiparticles won't
react with Belldandy's 10D atomic structure. In short, there
doesn't seem to be much in this universe which could pose a
physical threat to Belldandy or even a relatively powerless
goddess like Skuld.

An interesting side note is that demons seem to have special
vulnerabilities. Mara is compelled to do nothing but dance when
she hears disco music and is allergic to good luck charms,
though their effects can be neutralized if she is prepared for
them. Urd, being half demon, falls asleep when she hears
Austrian polkas (in the original Japanese, it's a traditional
Japanese musical form called the "enka") but is unaffected by
good luck charms.

Final Note: The demons in OMG have similar abilities as the
divine beings. Everything said here probably applies to them as
well.

3D.  HOW POWERFUL IS A GODDESS?

The discussion here will assume Belldandy is wearing her power
limiter seal. Unsealed, she could accidentally destroy the
planet or worse. Seals will be discussed in detail later in the
FAQ. Angels also significantly affect power levels, and will be
discussed later in the FAQ.

Even when sealed, the hyperdimensional nature of goddesses (as
observed from our perspective) combined with Yggdrasil's
control of the universal superstring puts Belldandy's abilities
on a level that dwarfs those of most characters in fiction,
anime or otherwise.

We've seen how inherently tough Belldandy is due to her
hyperdimensional nature. so now let's look at the other side of
the coin. How powerful are her attacks? Attacks come in
basically 3 forms in AMG:

(1)  The first kind of attack is a standard physical attack. A
punch, kick, whatever. Belldandy uses her power unconsciously
to augment the natural strength of her 3 dimensional form.
Without this augmentation, Belldandy is as strong as a normal
girl of her size. With it, the limits of her strength and
endurance are unknown. Urd and Mara have demonstrated superhero
level physical strength and resistance to physical damage, but
again their limits in this regard are unknown. In general, both
deities and demons prefer to use other forms of attack. Deities
from the Combat Division are an apparent exception to this.

(2)  The second kind of attack is the raw power energy blast.
Consider when Belldandy fires an energy blast at Mara
(presumably Mara's been threatening Keiichi again). It doesn't
look like much to us, but remember that we see only the 3D
intersection of that attack. Since the energy from the attack
is making no effort to remain visible to us, that intersection
would normally be very small. In other words, most of the
energy of the attack is undetectable by us.

Now, consider Belldandy firing an energy blast at something
native to this universe, say a device behind a force shield.
Since the blast is hyperdimensional, it can easily bypass the
shield. To illustrate this, consider a circle drawn on a piece
of paper. The paper represents a 2D universe and the circle
represents a shield in that universe. Obviously, nothing in
that 2D universe can get inside the circle without passing
through the shield. However, it is easy for me as a 3D being to
enter the circle or toss something into the circle from above
without touching the shield. It is just as easy for Belldandy
to bypass shields and other physical impediments from this
universe.

(3)  The third kind of attack is the spell. The spell of a god
or demon in AMG is actually a program running on Yggdrasil (or
Nidhog for demons). This makes Belldandy's spells incredibly
powerful in this universe. Yggdrasil controls the universal
superstring and thereby the definition of everything in this
universe. Therefore a spell, while requiring more time and
effort on Belldandy's part than a punch or energy blast, is
virtually unstoppable by anything in this universe. Returning
to our original TV analogy for the universal superstring,
nothing in this universe can resist a spell from Yggdrasil (or
Nidhog, apparently) any more than the image on a TV screen can
resist becoming whatever the video signal tells it to become.
Therefore, it doesn't matter at all to Mara if the person she's
changing into a lawn ornament is Keiichi or Superman. The only
conceivable defense would be for the target to issue a counter-
order to the universal superstring in order to override the
instructions from Yggdrasil. Note that souls transcend the
universe so the target retains consciousness and is aware of
their changed state unless the spell specifies otherwise. Note
also that even Superman as a lawn ornament wouldn't have any
more super powers than a regular lawn ornament.

How difficult are spells? Skuld is only now attaining the
ability to generate basic spells like levitating small objects
(essentially removing gravitons and applying a force). The most
powerful spells must be sung and have many, sometimes hundreds
of, parts which must be sung simultaneously. They require
either a highly skilled goddess to sing all the parts, or
multiple less-skilled goddesses.

Given their hyperdimensional nature and ability to manipulate
the universe at will, it is no wonder that, even with sealed
powers, the behavior of AMG's deities and demons is so closely
monitored by both sides. If it were not, this universe would
have ceased to exist long ago.

3E.  WHAT ARE SEALS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?

The purpose of a seal is to "bottle up" something. Seals always
appear as physical devices. They may take the form of a piece
of jewelry, a ball, mirror, etc. Personal power limiters are
usually worn as jewelry, such as Belldandy's earring.

In general, a seal must be made specifically for the thing it
is to seal. For example, a seal made to restrain a goddess will
not work on a demon and vice versa. It is interesting to note
that a seal made for a goddess/demon hybrid will hold a
goddess, at least an unconscious one, for a short time before
failing.

Seals can be made to last for different periods of time or
indefinitely. One kind of seal, for example, expires after
imprisoning someone for 500 years. Seals can also be made to
allow the sealed person to remain conscious or not.

3F.  HOW LONG DO GODDESSES LIVE?

The manga says that the goddesses have always existed and will
always exist. Given the fact that Belldandy was born at some
point, goddesses apparently go through different incarnations
during the course of their existence. While OVA #5 may suggest
otherwise, the manga strongly suggests that Belldandy's current
incarnation will live for at least several thousand years. This
is supported by the fact that the penalty for telling too many
lies is a 50 year license suspension, and that some seals last
for 500 years but they can be made to last longer.

3G.  WHERE DO GODDESSES GET THEIR ENERGY?

Goddesses are native to Heaven's universe and do not seem to
require a specialized energy source while there. However, a
goddess cannot function well on the raw energy of this
universe. This is probably due to the fact that there are no
fully 10 dimensional energy sources in this universe. While
they are here, goddesses must receive energy from Yggdrasil
which takes raw natural energy from this universe (used by
nature spirits, mortals, etc.), refines it, and makes it
available to the goddesses. If a goddess or demon depletes her
energy past a certain point, she risks illness or even death.

If Yggdrasil crashes badly enough to affect the most basic of
its functions, this energy flow ceases and the goddesses in
this universe (ones in Heaven don't seem to be affected) must
rely on their own alternate sources of energy. A temporary
solution to this problem is to supply each goddess with a moon
rock, which for a limited time will refine enough energy for a
goddess to function at a basic level. A moon rock is just what
it appears to be, a rock either from the moon itself or an
artificially manufactured copy. The shape of the rock doesn't
matter, but the chemical composition and method of manufacture
(metamorphic process) do.

3H.  DO GODDESSES EAT?

While it's clear that Belldandy can eat and drink when she
wants to, the evidence strongly suggests she has no need to.
Urd enjoys consuming alcohol and Skuld enjoys consuming ice
cream, but those are their alternate energy sources. It is
understandable that they would like them and consume them even
when they had no specific need.

3I.  WHAT DO GODDESS CLASSIFICATIONS MEAN?

Belldandy is a Goddess First Class, Second Category Unlimited.
What does this mean?

CLASS
Class refers to the power level and skill of a goddess in
performing pure magic (Urd's skill with potions and Skuld's
skill with technology apparently don't count). A goddess first
class is both powerful and highly skilled in using that power,
while a goddess second class will have less power and/or less
skill. Urd is an interesting illustration of this, as she is
much more powerful than first class goddess Belldandy yet is a
goddess second class because of her lack of control. Goddesses
first class also have more restrictions on their behavior than
goddesses second class. For example a goddess first class is
not allowed to lie, though Peorth has told "little white lies"
on occasion. A goddess second class can get into trouble if she
tells enough lies, but isn't held to as high a standard as a
goddess first class.

CATEGORY
Category refers to the type of job a goddess has. First
category is administrative, while second category is
commercial. Administrative may refer to administrators of
Yggdrasil, but more likely refers to general administration in
Heaven. The Commercial designation apparently indicates
goddesses such as Belldandy and Peorth who work with customers,
i.e. grant wishes to non-heavenly beings. There is at least one
other category, called "Special Duty". Members of the Combat
Division are in this category.

LIMITED/UNLIMITED
Limited/unlimited apparently refers to the scope of actions a
goddess is allowed to take, such as surveillance. It doesn't
seem to be related to the power level a goddess is allowed to
use, but rather to how she can use that power.

Demons and some earth spirits also have classes, though it
isn't clear if they have categories and limitations.

3J.  WHAT DO GODDESS MARKINGS MEAN?

Goddess markings contain programs which define who they are.
The marking on the forehead also functions as an I/O device,
communicating with Yggdrasil in Heaven. Goddesses are
apparently always in contact with Yggdrasil through their
markings, even while in this universe.

Demon markings also define who they are, though it is unclear
whether demons share an intimate link with Nidhog the way
goddesses are linked to Yggdrasil.

There is apparently hyperdimensional information imbedded in
the markings which enables gods, demons and even some earth
spirits to recognize rank (First Class, Second Class, etc.)

-----

4.   WHAT ARE ANGELS?

In a physical sense, Angels are symbiotic organisms which
inhabit the body of their host, a god or goddess. The host
swallows an angel egg and shortly thereafter the angel
manifests from a spot between the shoulder blades of the host.
In a spiritual sense, an angel is an extension and reflection
of the host's soul. An angel knows everything its host knows
and feels (physically and emotionally) everything its host
feels, and vice versa. They are not independent beings in the
popular sense of "guardian angels", nor is it their primary
purpose to protect their host (though they have very quick
reactin times and can do so to some extent if needed). Though
they can understand speech, angels do not appear to speak.

4A.  WHEN CAN A GODDESS ACQUIRE AN ANGEL?

Normally, before a goddess is allowed to acquire an angel egg,
she must first demonstrate that she is sufficiently powerful to
control an angel. If a goddess swallows an angel egg before she
has the power and self control to manage an angel, the angel
may run wild and have to be sealed until the host is capable of
controlling it.

There apparently is very little regulation of the availability
and distribution of angel eggs, as they are available through
the divine equivalent of mail order.

4B.  HOW POWERFUL ARE ANGELS?

Angels are ethereal beings, not possessing physical flesh-and-
bone bodies. Nevertheless, angels can lift or push things,
exerting great physical force. Their primary purpose, however,
is to assist in performing magic. It isn't known whether they
act as a catalyst for their host's power or whether they have
power of their own which supplements their host's power.

A host can "lend" their angel to another being, even to a
mortal if that mortal is sufficiently in tune with goddesses.
In this case, the new host acquires the ability to cast magical
spells through the angel. When the angel is recalled by the
original host, the separation process is psychologically
draining to the new host.

4C.  WHAT LIMITATIONS DO ANGELS HAVE?

An angel MUST obey its host, even if the host is not powerful
enough to control the angel otherwise. If a goddess tells her
angel "I don't want to ever see you again!" it will disappear
forever, or at least until she has a very great, legitimate
need for the angel and calls it back.

When an angel is forcibly removed from its host the process is
so physically and psychologically painful that the host is
rendered unconscious for a considerable period of time. This is
also the case if the host removes her own angel. However,
lending ones angel does not carry this penalty. Apparently when
an angel is lent, the host retains some level of contact and
ultimate control. Note that the only known thing capable of
forcibly removing an angel against its host's will is a magical
creature called an Angel Eater, of which apparently only one
exists.

4D.  HOW MANY ANGELS CAN A GODDESS HAVE?

The answer is unclear. It is clear that once a goddess has
bonded with her angel she doesn't want another. It also
requires considerable self discipline to manifest 2 angels
simultaneously. So far, there are only two known cases in which
a goddess has 2 angels. In one case the angels are apparently
twins hatched from the same egg, while in the other case the
second angel was implanted against the will of the goddess.

4E.  DO DEMONS HAVE ANGELS?

Apparently not. There is an organism called a "servant demon"
which can be implanted into an unconscious and angel-less
goddess to take the place of the angel in an attempt to swing
the goddess to the "dark side", but demons do not appear to use
these servant demons themselves. As a final note, a goddess can
resist the influence of an implanted "servant demon", even to
the point of converting it into an angel, though still with
demon blood.

-----

5.   HOW DO TRANSPORT MEDIUMS WORK?

Transport mediums make it easier for a goddess to teleport from
one place to another. They are primarily (though not always)
used when moving from Heaven to this universe, but can be used
at any time. Belldandy is the only goddess besides Skuld who
uses only her medium for teleportation. In Skuld's case it's
because she doesn't have the ability to use anything else, but
in Belldandy's case it seems to be simply personal preference.
Urd, Peorth and Mara routinely disappear into thin air in a
conventional teleport, while Urd has also used walls, camera
lenses and water.

A goddess can be forcibly sent through her own medium, even
sent back to Heaven. This most likely is only possible if the
sender is much more powerful than the sendee.

-----

6.   ARE GODS AND DEMONS RELATED?

Yes, to some extent. As in Norse mythology from which AMG is
derived, the good guys and the bad guys are not that different.
They can reproduce with each other, and apparently as children
gods and demons play with and can even be close friends with
each other. It is also possible for them to switch sides,
though this seems to be very rare if it's ever happened at all.

-----

7.   WHY DO GODS AND DEMONS NEVER KILL EACH OTHER?

Killing is expressly forbidden. Sealing for 500 years,
eternity, etc. is allowable, but killing a god or demon is
absolutely not. The Doublet System enforces this rule.

Note that there is no rule against killing mortals or
magical/demonic creatures.

7A.  WHAT IS THE DOUBLET SYSTEM?

The Doublet System ties the life force of a goddess to that of
a demon so if one is killed, the other will die also. At an age
of approximately 8, a child from each side is selected to
undergo the ceremony. The criteria for selection is unclear,
though magical ability seems to be a large part of it. Each
side knows who they have selected, but apparently not who the
other side has selected. After the young god and demon have
completed the ceremony, their memories of the event are sealed
so even they don't know who their doublet is.

It isn't clear who instituted the Doublet System or how one
side or the other is kept from cheating. However, it appears to
work very well.

-----

8.   WHAT ARE CONTRACTS?

Both gods and demons honor their own contracts, though of
course not those made by the other side. Divine contracts do
not require payment, but the recipients are carefully selected.
Demonic contracts can be made with anyone but require
compensation, such as ones soul. Contracts, both divine and
demonic, have force and are difficult to terminate. Contrary to
popular belief, the contract between Belldandy and Keiichi is
apparently unique in that it binds a goddess to a mortal.
Technically this contract was invalidated long ago, though
Belldandy and Keiichi speak and act as if it were still in
force.

-----

9.   WHAT OTHER MAGICAL BEINGS ARE THERE?

Besides goddesses and demons, there are several levels of
magical beings in AMG. Here is a quick list:

NATURE SPIRITS
Nature spirits come in basically two forms. One is the familiar
spirit from Japanese and Norse folklore which inhabits objects.
The other form has markings and classifications similar to
those of a goddess. It is likely that they can form spells on
either Yggdrasil or Nidhog. However, their power levels, while
considerable, do not approach those of a goddess or demon first
class.

Nature spirits derive their energies directly from the earth,
not from Yggdrasil as the goddesses do. They can be weakened by
interrupting the flow of one of their power conduits which run
through the earth.

DEMON STONES
Certain minor demons are associated with a demon stone.
Maxwell's demon, which can be used for jet propulsion, and the
Laplacian demon, useful for tracking motion and position are
examples. They are not demons in the same sense as Mara,
Welsper, or Hild.

GENIES
Genies appear to work for the demons, aiding them in their
endeavors. At least one of them can influence a person's luck.

MORTALS
It seems that some mortals can access Yggdrasil or Nidhog
through certain magical artifacts and symbols which may or may
not be familiar to a goddess or demon.

ARTIFICIAL LIFE FORMS
Both goddesses and demons can create or engineer life forms to
perform specific tasks.